Prologue

Jack Avery's POV

My bag weighed me down as I strolled down the school corridor. My science project was safely placed inside my black and white Champion backpack, I had science second period and that meant dragging my fairly heavy bag throughout the first lesson.

Or I could just put it in my locker temporarily so that's what I did.

I turn in the direction of my locker as it isn't a very far anyway.

I mentally groan at the sight of Edward standing by my locker with his friends, they tend to pick on me a lot. Apparently, they find it funny... Corbyn always tells me to defend myself but I can't hurt someone else especially on purpose.

Choosing to ignore the group of about 5, I reach into my pocket to pull out my key to unlock the locker. Suddenly, my backpack is gripped and I'm pulled back into someone's chest.

The grip transfers onto my arms as I get smashed into my locker, a dent forming from the impact. I gasp out, they aren't usually physical... They only ever verbally abuse me.

"Hey, flower boy." Edward snarls in my ear before spinning me around to face him. His friends, three other boys and a girl were all watching. The girl had a deep frown on her face while the boys were laughing.

Edward's bright blue eyes bore into mine as he lifts his fist up. I naturally flinch as it comes into contact with my cheek, I'm left confused and in pain.

A small whimper leaves my mouth as pain floods my system. What did I do to them? "P-Please.. G-G-Get off..." I whisper, catching the overly grown jock surprised. I understand why, I never talk back.

"Adorable," Edward says teasingly before shoving me onto the floor right by the his friends feet.

"Asshole, what the fuck are you doing?!" A voice snaps from behind me, I was fully expecting Corbyn to be stood there but the voice was different. As well as that, Corbyn wasn't here today. He felt sick and mum told him to stay home.

Edward's mouth goes wide as he stares at my defender in surprise. No one but my brother has ever stood up for me but even then that was limited.

The four friends back off, letting me turn around to see Zachary Dean Herron. Also known as Corbyn Matthew Besson's best friend.

He strolls confidently down the hall, he was clearly used to being the center of attention unlike me. Everyone who was originally watching me get beat up were staring at Zach like he's grew two heads.

When he reaches my body, which was still laying on the ground hopelessly, watching Zach like he's some kind of God.

He leans down and helps me up with a gentle smile. "Are you okay, Jack?" He asks me, briefly scanning my body for any visible injuries apart from jaw, everything was fine.

Unable to do anything else, I just nod shyly. My head looking at the ground, finding that more interesting then anything else. "Good," Zach mumbles, ruffling my curls which dangled down my forehead.

Edward only then speaks up,"Zach, my man, why are saving the gay boy?" He asks with narrowed eyes. "Are you a dirty faggot too?" That word causes me to whimper quietly. Zach rubs my back soothingly before letting go of me and stepping closer to Edward.

"If I was, how would that effect you?" He shoots back, whispers erupt from around us. I was just as shocked, from what I knew... Zach was about as straight as an 180° degree line.

"Cocksucker," Edward snarls, clenching his fists. Since it was only early morning, the majority of teachers were in the staff room getting coffee; mentally preparing themselves to handle a bunch of moody teenagers.