Chapter 13

Maura's POV

The fact that my sister is dying has really thrown me off my game.

I've been distant and I haven't been able to concentrate on my work. My students have noticed it. They could tell by my lack of enthusiasm when teaching about rheumatic heart disease.

"Dr. Isles, Are you feeling alright?" One of my students asked.

"Oh, yes. I'm fine, thank you." I replied.

Somehow, I got through the day. I went home to find that Jane had come home early to get dinner started.

"That smells fantastic." I said as I wrapped my arms around Jane from behind.

"How was your day?" She asked.

"It was fine." I replied.

"Oh...My Rizzoli senses are tingling! Your day sucked. Do you want to talk about it?"

I sighed and let go of her. I grabbed her hand and pulled her to the couch with me. I sat and slid off my shoes. Jane sat beside me and pulled my feet into her lap and began to massage them.

"I can't stop thinking about Danielle and my mother and Paddy. Why does my life have to be so damn complicated?"

Jane giggled.

"Babe, when has anything in your life ever not been complicated? This may be the simplest your life has ever been."

I closed my eyes and laid my head back.

"Jane?"

"Yes, dear?"

"May I say something totally unlike me?"

"Of course, my love."

"I'm going to need a good fucking tonight." I said plainly.

Jane stopped massaging my feet and ran her hand up my right leg. She stopped at my inner thigh.

"Are you implying that our other fucks haven't been enjoyable?" She asked.

"Honey, do you think I'd be as vocal as I am in the bedroom if it wasn't enjoyable?" I said. "I'm just making a point to tell you that I really need one tonight."

I lifted my head up and smiled at her.

Jane shrugged.

"If it makes you feel any better, you're the only lover I've had that can make me curse in three different languages."

Jane's eyes locked with mine.

"I'm ready and willing." She said seriously.

"I would like to eat first." I replied.

"But Maura, you can't tell me that I'm fucking you tonight and then make me watch you eat."

"Then eat with me." I said as I got up off the couch. "I'm going to call Emily for an update on my sister."

"Babe, I think maybe you should leave Emily alone. I mean, if Danielle wanted you to know how she was feeling, she'd put you on the list of approved visitors. She didn't want you to suffer while watching her suffer, and quite frankly, I don't want you to suffer either. You know exactly what Em is going to say. Danielle isn't getting better, and hearing Emily say that isn't going to make it any easier to accept."

I knew Jane was right.

"She's my big sister, Jane. My big sister is dying and she doesn't even want to see me."

"Wrong." Jane said.

She wrapped her arms around me and kissed the top of my head.

"She doesn't want you to see her." She continued. "She sent you a letter. It came in the mail today."