Chapter 12

I woke around six o'clock in the evening to the smell of Homemade Italian food. Zoey was still snuggled beside me, sleeping soundly.

I gently eased my way out of my daughters grip and walked downstairs and into my kitchen.

I saw a tall dark haired man at the stove. His hips were swaying gently to the music that was softly playing in the background.

"I thought you we're going on a date?" I asked.

He turned around quickly and shot me a smile.

"I came by to drop Zoey's stuffed penguin off. You know she can't sleep at night without it."

I smiled.

"Tony, what about your date?"

"I asked if I could have a raincheck. When I got here and saw you two sleeping, I couldn't bring myself to leave."

I let my smile fall.

"You used Sofia's key again didn't you?"

He answered almost immediately.

"Yes." He said with a nod.

Tony stepped closer to me.

"You'll be glad I did after you taste what I've been cooking."

He reached out to grab my hand then dragged me over to the stove.

He stood behind me and covered my eyes.

"Smell." He commanded. "What is it?"

"It's my favorite!" I said. "Chicken Mushroom Marsala."

"You're right." He whispered as he wrapped his arms around my waist from behind.

I smiled to myself and rested my hands on his.

"This is wrong, Tony." I whispered. "You shouldn't be here, you should be out on your date. Thank you for cooking for me though."

"That's not where I want to be, Emily." He whispered. "This is where I want to be. I want to be wherever you and Zoey are. I'm sorry I was an ass before. I'm sorry I was angry with you for that miscarriage. It wasn't your fault and I'm sorry I said it was. I'm sorry that I made you want to hate me and I'm sorry I ruined your relationship with Scott. I'll tell you what I'm not sorry about though."

Tony continued.

"I'm not sorry he left you. I'm not sorry that you still loved me even after I put you through hell. I'd be extremely grateful if you give me one more chance to show you that I can be the man you want me to be and the father that Zoey needs in her life."

"I don't know, Tony. You can't ask me to give you another chance right after I get out of a relationship. It's not that simple."

"I know, I just miss you. I just need you to at least think about it."

I nodded.

I heard Zoey come down the stairs.

"Mommy!" She cried. "Mommy!"

I pushed Tony's arms away to walk over to the bottom of the steps.

As soon as I got there Zoey's arms shot up and I lifted her and held her. She was sniffling and trying to talk and Tony was having a hard time understanding her.

"Princess, why are you crying like that baby?" Tony asked.

"I th-thought that m- mama l-l-left me t-too."

I sighed.

"Baby, mommy will never ever leave you, and daddy will never ever leave you again. You don't need to worry, okay?" I said.