Kabanata 1

Kabanata 1

I don't want to be a burden.

Tumigil ang van sa terminal ng Coriolis. Tita Rema said that someone will fetch us. She was talking to the driver and I was observing the place.

Coriolis Terminal was beside a market. Ang mga lamp post sa daan ay unti-unti na ring nagsiliwanagan. Napatingin ako sa aking wrist watch para i-check ang oras. Labing anim na lang na minuto bago mag-6 pm. Ang nag-aagaw na dilim at liwanag sa kalangitan ang patunay.

The calmness of the place is very contradicting to the city where I lived. There were no busy streets and traffics. In fact, the market was the only place that I've noticed where a lot of local people flocked. Of course, it's the market, Star. This is the place where they can buy their food, a basic need of a person to live.

Nagpa-alam si Tita Rema sa ibang kasabay namin papunta rito. Some looked at my direction and I smiled to them and they did the same.

The van was already empty except the driver and his assistant when it drove away from the terminal. Ang rota nito ay pabalik sa pinanggalingan namin. Napakunot noo ako dahil doon.

Lumapit si Tita Rema sa kung saan ako nakatayo. "Malapit na ang sundo natin, Star," she said apologetically when she noticed that I was standing there waiting for her.

I reassuringly smiled at her. "Okay lang, po."

"Ang bait mo namang bata. Your parents must be proud of you."

Yeah, they did. Pero, iwan ko kung hanggang ngayon ay ganoon pa rin. I hide the sudden pain I felt by smiling.

"By the way, why are you traveling alone?" she asked curiously.

"I prefer it to be alone, po. No one would bother me. And I can decide for myself on where to go or what will I do," I seriously said.

At nakita ko kung paano naging mas napuno ng kuryosidad ang kanyang mga mata. She even want to ask another question but she was interrupted by a call.

"Excuse me." She accepted the call and a smile was plastered in her face when she heard the voice of the caller.

"Yes, darling. We are at the terminal." Bumaling si Tita Rema sa akin. "I am with a newly found friend," she added.

Hindi ko inaasahan ang pagkakaroon ng bagong kakilala sa pagpunta ko rito. I thought I will be going to act just like a wind na walang makakapansin.

She ended the call and happily went beside me. "He's almost here."

Umupo muna kami sa isang bench na gawa sa kahoy. Natanto siguro niyang nahihiya lang akong umupo dahil nakatayo lang siya.

"Nandito na siya," she excitedly announced. Sobrang bubbly talaga ni Tita. Nakapag-charge siguro siya ng energy nang dahil sa idlip na naging tulog niyang ginawa.

A sleek black car stopped meters away from us. The car looks pricey. I know it when I observed Tita Rema's aura when I sat beside her in the van. Hindi siya normal na mamamayan ng lungsod na ito.

A tall man got out from the car. Napakunot noo ako. Is he the driver? This province is super weird. A while ago, I met a maniac stranger but I can't deny that he was handsome. And now, Tita Rema's driver is a gift of God too.

He was all smiles while walking towards us. He has the aura of a boy next door. 'Yong tipong hindi gagawa ng kalokohan pero nasa loob ang pagiging halimaw. Parang naglalakad siya sa isang runway. Nakasuot siya ng itim na slacks at puting long sleeves na nakatupi hanggang siko. And even his black shoes were shiny.