Goodbye Summer

It was as if everything had been in slow motion.

The people around her running for the door, papers flying everywhere.

The bell had finally rung. School was officially over.

Her suffering has ended.

Not wasting any time, Miabella launched out of her plastic orange chair and squeezed herself in between two of her classmates, greeting them a good summer as she tried to get through the hoard of students headed for the door.

Before she left though, she looked back at the dragon lady who was still seated at her desk; after the unbelievable 85% Mrs. Steves gave her in Advanced Math, she wouldn't be getting a goodbye from Miabella sooner than she would a right hook to the jaw.

Throughout the whole semester, it was clear that she had her favourites in the class, and sadly, Miabella wasn't one of them.

Maybe it was the procrastination, maybe it was all the times she came to class late with wet hair, or maybe she was a mind reader and she could see all of the vulgar thoughts and inappropriate nicknames she had come up with for her.

"Jesus, Mi, you took so long to come out!" Someone had suddenly pulled her out the door and into a corner. Miabella jerked in surprise, ready to throw some solid hits and kicks, when she saw who it was.

It was Rin, the Japanese exchange student, one of Miabella's more sarcastic, impatient friends. Maybe that's why they became best friends so quickly.

"Sorry," Miabella said as she tried to peer back into the classroom, "but I wanted to take one last look before she leaves."

Of course Miabella was talking about the retirement of Mrs. Steves. She had practically announced it to the whole school.

It was right after their Principal had just concluded the morning announcements one fine school day, and everyone in class was wondering where the dragon lady was.

Was she sick? Did she finally get fired?

Did she get run over by a truck?

It turns out that the Principal hadn't turned off the P.A system, and the whole school listened into their private coversation.

And when Mrs. Steves had said the words, "I'm retiring," it was as if Team Canada had scored the winning goal for the gold.

Even some of the teachers were rejoicing.

Rin's eyes widened as she quickly pulled Miabella out of her flashback. She smacked her arm and Miabella winced.

"Ouch!"

"Dude! She's gonna hear you!" Rin hissed as she started to pull Miabella away. "Now, come on, my sister is already waiting outside."

Rin and Miabella quickly snaked their way through the crowd and made it to the front doors of the school. Some seniors had come back and were all sprawled along the bright, spacious hallways, catching up with old teachers and friends from younger grades.

Not only was their school known for great academics and their over-the-top basketball program, it was also a great piece of architecture.

When you first drive up to the school and get past the parking lot, the pick-up zone, and a commons area for the students, you will see a humongous two-story building with walls of glass. When you first walk in, your eues will feast on a bright and spacious reception area, with the main office on its left and a lounge area on the right. If you looked up, you would see a balcony that overlooked the main floor of the school, and a colourful, wavy ceiling that was decorated with large, white flower pendants. To the left of the reception table were also stairs that led to the balcony and the second floor classrooms.