CHAPTER 23

*all rights to the original author*

I didn’t hesitate for even a second as I flew to the school and blew through the door to my English classroom. Maybe I should have come up with a plan first because I was not prepared for what I found waiting for me on the other side of that door. I knew Lauren would be there. I even expected to see her tied to a chair or something, which she was, but I never dreamed that she’d be wired to a car battery. It was such a disturbing sight that the moment I saw her I freaked the mother of all freak-outs.

"Amazing," Mr. Edwards whispered to himself as the lights in the room burst, raining down in a shower of glass and sparks.

"Amazing" is definitely not how I saw it. What I saw was every muscle in Lauren’s body tensed and shaking violently from the electricity being pumped into her. The wattage was so high that she couldn’t even scream. It was the most horrifying thing I’ve ever seen. "Mr. E., what are you doing to her!" I shrieked.

"It’s not me, Camila. If you don’t want her to die I suggest you turn off the power right now." When his words sank in, I was so horrified that my eyes drifted back to Lauren in what felt like slow motion. "I can’t just flip a switch!"

I took a step toward Lauren, wanting to rip her free from the torture. But as I moved closer, the energy got stronger. I couldn’t free her, so I did the only thing I could think of. I left. And it just about killed me. I left Lauren there, stranded with a psychopath, wired to a car battery, and now, thanks to me, probably half dead. But what else could I do? I was killing her, and unlike Mr. Edwards seemed to think, I couldn’t just turn it off. Not when I was so upset.

I ran from that room as fast as my legs could take me. I was too distraught to think up a plan, but it didn’t really matter because my phone was ringing just a few short seconds after I took off. I didn’t say anything when I answered it—I couldn’t get words out between my sobs—but Mr. Edwards didn’t wait for a greeting.

"I’m sorry, Camila." Mr. Edwards sighed, and he had the nerve to actually sound remorseful. "I didn’t realize… I was under the impression that you had learned how to control yourself. Honestly, I never wanted anyone to get hurt."

You know what they say: anger does a body good. Or maybe that was milk, but whatever. It certainly did me some good right then to get really mad, because I quit crying like a baby and found my inner ice queen.

"Then why take Lauren? Why strap her to a battery? You’re sick!"

"It was self-defense. I knew that if you couldn’t use your power around her, then you wouldn’t be able to use it on me."

I hated to admit it, but, "Actually, Mr. E., that wasn’t a bad idea on your part."

"Thanks."

"Too bad it was all a wasted effort."

"How do you figure?"

"Because I may not be able to stop you right now, but the cops surely can. Don’t think I’m not going to call them."

Mr. E. ignored my threats and changed the subject. "I’ve been to Tahoe, Camila. I’ve seen your little practice sessions with Lauren."

I was about to hang up on him and call the police as promised, but something occurred to me then.

"It was you I saw that day, videotaping me." I was talking more to myself than him. "I should have known Carter would never be stupid enough to get caught."

"Camila, the things you can do… You’re incredible! Don’t you want to understand how it’s possible?"

"No. What I want is for you to let my girlfriend go."