Seeing Through You

Kitri stacked up lecture notes and put them inside her bag after her last period.

Remus turned to her. "You did a fine job leading the class, but are you sure you'll be fine on your own tomorrow?"

She gave him a warm smile. "Absolutely. I always have been, right? Is there anything I can do for you to make things easier?"

He shook his head with a suddenly downcast look. "Yes, you have. I just always feel the need to ask. Just keep anyone away as much as possible. Help the other professors keep the curfiew in place."

"I will." Kitri said with a curt nod. "Well, I'm heading to supper, then more time with the no longer potion's master."

Remus laughed. "He is very nasty to people, but if he is too mean to you, please let me know. I could try talking to him. Not that he would listen to me, but still."

"I will, but you have your own troubles to worry about. Thank you, Reemus." 

-----------

Lupin's seat always looked so eerily empty when it was 'one of those nights'. He took extra care to leave as fast and far as possible after his last lesson, to lower the risk of anyone getting hurt, but who knows how far he got this time. The students still needed strict direction to remain inside in case he got back close enough to Hogwarts to harm anyone.

Snape leaned in to speak to Kitri in a low tone. "Is he out for the night?"

Kitri nodded as she slowly sipped on her white wine.

Severus kept glancing over at her, her expression unreadable with slight coldness in her eyes like she was focused on something frustrating. She left the hall far earlier than usual, once again barely touching her food.

--------------------

Snape stepped into his classroom, and his breath was taken away when he saw her. She didn't have her usual stiff and proper posture but was looking down at a paper, legs crossed, one tapping in the air rhythmically. Her head was being supported by her hand, with the elbow on her desk as she marked the essays in red with the other.

He could see her fingers intertwined through her flaming red hair, and he cleared his throat to get her attention, since she must have been so engrossed in her grading that she didn't even hear the door.

Kitri glanced over at him blankly before turning back to her work. "Severus. Let me know when you would like to get started. I can get this finished tomorrow."

"We'll be making a Veritaserum potion. Grab the ingredients whenever you're ready." Snape said sharply as he strode over to his desk with his usual brooding grace. "Instructions are on page 753 of the 7th year potion book. There are some extra ones in the closet to your right."

Kitri did not hesitate and placed the papers down, getting up and starting to retrieve the ingredients instead of going for the textbook.

Snape raised an eyebrow with a scoff. "Confident, are we?"

Kitri stopped, facing him but avoiding eye contact. "We were tested on not only execution but on listing required ingredients for each potion on our exams from memory. I wanted to give it a try before verifying with the text."

Snape let out what could be considered a slightly impressed huff before he gestured with an open palm toward the ingredients, prompting her to proceed.

"Severus, have you ever felt like you missed a chance with someone?" She asked without looking up from her task of cutting and weighing out the ingredients.

Snape's breath caught in his throat. "That is quite a personal question..."

Kitri smirked. "I figured. I could tell we have that in common."