Lungs That Suck at Being Lungs

• Dedicated to Augustus Waters

I woke up to see my mother leaning over me. She was smiling her fake "it's okay" smile.

"Hazel, honey. How are you?" She whispered.

"I'm fine I guess. What happened?"

"Oh your lungs just filled up with fluid again. Luckily the doctor said you came just in time. Another five minutes she wouldn't of been able to remove the fluid." She looked down at the tile floor that was placed all over the hospital, as if it avoid eye contact. Suddenly I heard a knock on the door.

"Hello? Is this Hazel's room? I'm still getting use to the whole being blind thing." I looked down at my self and though oh my gosh I look terrible! Then, suddenly realized he couldn't see me and relaxed.

"Come on in Isaac!" I called loud enough to hear me though the heavy hospital door. I heard a creek then saw Isaac step in the room with shades to his eyes and his walking stick.

"Nice to see you Isaac." My mom calmly said as she got up to let him sit down and talk to me.

"I would say it's nice to see you too, but you know the whole eye cancer thing." He chucked at his snarky remark and turned his head toward me.

"So, how are you feeling?"

"Besides the fact that cancer sucks? I'm doing okay." I smiled but he didn't see.

"Ah, typical Hazel." He smiled. Then there was a long pause. "Hazel I think I love you and I don't care if you don't love me, but at least you know how I feel makes me feel better." He blurted. I looked at him. I remember before I went to bed I had a long thought about how I REALLY felt, and I still felt in love with Gus. Before I had woke up, I had a dream where Gus told me to move on. Should I believe him? Should I move on? Should I confess how I really felt about Isaac?

"Isaac," I paused thinking of how I should say it, "I think I might love you too."