The Thing

"Gotta get home." Thought the little seahorse. "Gotta show mommy what I found." 

He had spent most of the day looking for something that he could take home to give to his mom. Something that she would find pretty. The thing he had found was a weird color and it had fuzzy things on the ends of it. 

"I hope mommy likes it." He thought as he continued to swim home. 

As he continued to swim he passed a field of sea grass. It had turned brown and was in the process of dying. 

"The grass looks funny. Maybe mommy will know why."

He had finally swum to where he could see the reef where he lived. It had been turning funny colors and he couldn't understand why most of the other seahorses were leaving and going to live somewhere else. He picked up the pace so he could show his mom what he had found. 

"Mommy, look what I found." He called out as he swam into the opening of their section of reef. 

He saw his mom, something wasn't right. She had something sticking out of her chest. It was some kind of stick thing with little scrubby things at the end(A/N: its a toothbrush). It was big compared to us and there was green blood seeping out of the wound. He couldn't understand what was happening. He didn't comprehend the seriousness of the situation. His mother was dying. 

"Go to your uncle's reef." his mother said with the last of her strength. She didn't want him to have to watch her die.

"But mommy I found-" she cut him off.

"GO!" she shouted.

He swam out and cried the entire way to his uncle's reef. He still didn't understand the gravity of the situation. When he got to his uncle's reef he told him what had happened. His uncle was at a loss for words. How would he tell him? How would he explain that his mother had probably died while he swam over? 

How would he tell him that the thing he had found was related to the thing that had killed his mother?