Prologue

She reflected on how she had gotten here. Blood coated her tongue, covered her hands, stained her clothes and turned her hair an ugly shade of rusted copper. Her twin, a clean and perfect reflection of herself, kneeled at her side, nearly draped over her, horrified.

"Hey, it had to happen sometime." The words came easily. They'd had this conversation countless times, and maybe this one had lasted a little longer than most lives they lived, but everything had to end at some point.

"Not like this, not... never like this." She knew their hands were clasped, she could see them, white knuckled and shaking with the force of their shared grip, but she couldn't feel them.

"What do you think the next one will be like?" She was slurring, her senses going faster than she'd like.

"Safe. I just want it to be safe. A nice break from all... this." Black was creeping in on the edges of her sight, and she focused on her sister's face. She wouldn't look like this ever again. Not quite. She wanted to remember. She wanted to wake to memories of now and she wanted to put brush to canvas and know her sister every time she turned her gaze upon it. She raised her free hand, grazing the back of her knuckles against a cheek she couldn't feel. Blood traced the path.

"It's not like I'll be gone forever. Just a lil while." The darkness had closed around all but the green eyes she had known in every life.

"I'll find you, promise."

"Not if I find you first."

And then she was gone.

And then he was.