~A Union of Forces ~

A Union of Forces

A Union of Forces

As I opened the old scratched door of my third-floor small apartment, darkness welcomed me home. I took a deep breath and dragged the cellphone off my back pocket, ready to light my way in. However, suddenly, the lights turned on and I instantly felt a powerful energy floating through the air. I raised my hand, about to defend myself, as my own energy began to warm my bare palm, but a familiar figure sitting in my living room stopped my every move.

''Vlad?'', my eyes shot wide open, as I almost dropped my things. What the-

''Igy! I see you're still scared of the dark.'', he didn't try to hide his little laugh and I was kind of glad he didn't. Same old Vlad...

I observed him carefully, running my eyes all over him. I crooked a half-faced smile. ''You've gotten fat.'', I pointed out.

He let a big sigh. ''That's the price every old man has to pay... Our bodies don't working like they used to. '', he looked at me carefully. ''Yet, I see you haven't changed much. I bet McWrath's gift is still as beautiful as it was back then.'', he said, chuckling at his own joke.

I rolled my eyes. Can't tell I had missed his jokes... I ran my hand through my hair and closed the door behind me. The old scar at the base of my neck suddenly began to burn under my dark scarf. That bastard had marked me for good... He was lucky I had retired, or else I would have for sure paid him with the same coin...

I yawned exhausted and took off my coat along with my scarf. I began to walk towards the kitchen, while speaking. ''Grow up, Vlad, you've got too old to still make those awful jokes. '', I advised him, only to hear his laugh as a response.

''Oh now, Igy, that's where you're wrong! What's an awful life without some awful jokes?''

''More bearable...'', I muttered, filling two glasses of whiskey and passing one to him. As I took a seat across him, I glared at his feet that right then had form a quite close relationship with my wooden table. ''First, take your damn feet off my table.'', I nearly growled; just to receive a deep laugh from him. Luckily, he decided to do as I said. I took my chance to relax a little and have a sip of my drink before I demand for a few answers. ''Secondly, how the hell did you manage to break into my house? And how did you find me? What do you want this time?''

''One question at the time, Igy, that kind of behavior is not what dear old mum taught you.'', he said too calm, making me boil in my own blood. I took a bigger sip, trying to calm my nerves. Asshole... He knew too well that I was an orphan...

I ran my palm over my face, suddenly feeling too tired to even answer something back. ''Just tell me already.''

He finally decided to look at me with a serious look on his face. ''One, I never reveal my sources, I think you remember that. It's one of my most sacred rules.''

''As if you have any...'', he only smiled before keep talking.

''Two, I had warned you that leaving your key under your doormat is too obvious.'', I rolled my eyes, yet let him continue speaking. That was the reason I always left it there. No one smart enough would opt for the obvious one. ''Three, we have a problem.''

It was only then I really paid attention to him. I turned my gaze towards him, trying to see if he was joking. His dead-serious eyes met mine, dark as night. I began to get somewhat nervous. I nodded for him to tell me.

He took a deep breath, straightening his back. ''The Council wishes to see us, Heroes and Villains alike.''

''But, it's been fifteen years since we have retired. Our generation is no longer in charge of things. I'm sure the Council knows it.'', I told him, not being able to understand.

''I know, yet the situation demands every superhuman being to be present at the meeting.''

''What situation are you talking about?''

He stayed still and silent for a few seconds, trying to think of his next words. Sweat started forming on my temple, as my fingers kept tapping the glass in my hands. After what seemed like ages, he decided to speak. ''A big threat is on the way, Igor. And we might not survive.''

His words echoed in my mind, again and again. That could only mean one thing...

''We have war.'' 

Another one! I'm thinking that I might be posting one every day, but I'll see

Another one! I'm thinking that I might be posting one every day, but I'll see... Anyway, hope you liked it and I can't wait to read your thoughts! Feel free to point out any mistakes, you will only help me get better! Have a nice day! :)