Introduction

I am a huge animal lover. It's just a fact. I love any and all animals, but hardly any more than dogs. All of my friends call me "the dog whisperer," because I grow immensely excited when meeting a new canine—especially if it happens to be a tiny, adorable puppy. If only I could whisk all the puppers away; hold them, love them, snuggle them! My house would be filled to the brim with dogs if it was something that could be possible. But sadly, that dream is not realistic.

We have owned dogs for most of my life. I can barely imagine a time when we didn't have at least one. Many different breeds have come into our homes, and they have all been special to us on so many levels. It is their stories that I would like to tell now...

Though many a dog has been loved and cared for by our family, we have not always been able to be graced with their presence for long. A fair warning is being issued directly—the stories ahead are not always happy. Yes, there are plenty of happy moments. Funny moments. Adorable moments. But every story must have an ending, and there have been plenty of those in my life... especially regarding our fluffy companions.

It is my wish to bring these stories to light, so that everyone can know the love that has been bestowed, both by us and our sweet pets in return. These stories really happened, and the beautiful animals in them are a pleasant memory. The good and the bad will both be present, but every life is full of each so this should not come as a surprise. My hope is that you, as the reader, will learn what a blessing it is to invite such incredible love into your heart... despite knowing that it will not last forever.