Part 5

Mike Proverb:

It took me a while to realize that the girl in my arms, the one I had been trying to keep out of my thoughts, was also the reason I found myself in the midst of this tedious family gathering.  What was she doing here? Was I imagining her? But how could it be just my imagination? I could see her so closely, I could even smell the delicate fragrance from her body that I had never noticed before. I had never been able to study her so closely, even though I had longed to do so.

Her mysterious black eyes and well-defined lips, which she nervously kept biting, sent my heart racing and stole my breath away.  I was losing my breath, and I wanted to tell her to stop, that if she continued for another second, I wouldn't be responsible for my actions. Suddenly, she tried to free herself from my grip, and that's when reality snapped back. I let go of her, and in unison, we both exclaimed, "You?! You?!"

"You say it first! What are you doing here?" I inquired, concealing my inner turmoil behind a facade of surprise.

Her reply was just as bewildering, "Really? I have to ask you the same question. Have you forgotten the way to your own home?" Her eyebrows arched on one side, giving her a cute and confused expression.

"No, I'm in the right place. The problem is the wrong person standing in front of me. So why don't you tell me why you're here?" I wondered if she had any connection to this family. I was hoping she was the one who was lost, not us.

"Are you Mike, the son of Mr. Williams?" Her voice was a mix of confusion and surprise.

"Yes!" I replied, taken aback. "Wait a sec! How do you know my father's name?" I echoed her confusion.

"How's that possible!" she muttered, her expression mirroring my own thoughts.

"Excuse me! Did you say anything?" I was genuinely curious about what she was thinking.

"Stella!" A woman's voice interrupted us, and we both turned our heads towards the source of the voice. A lady came from the house, coming to a halt before me with an expression of amazement. "Oh my goodness! You're truly a very handsome young man, just like your father.  Mr William already mentioned your presence." She then shifted her attention to Stella and scolded, "What are you doing here, Stella? You were supposed to bring him inside." Stella seemed about to say something, but the lady didn't allow her to speak, redirecting her attention toward me and warmly inviting, "Please come inside, dear. Everyone is waiting for you."

Mom! Is she Stella's mother? What on earth is happening here?

I was completely shocked to find myself standing in front of her house, the same girl who I'd been trying to get out of my mind since the first day of school.

Suppressing my immediate thoughts, I greeted her mother by saying, "Thank you, ma'am!" and continued, "Sorry for making you all wait. Actually, Stella has no fault. She invited me, but I was a bit hesitant to come inside."

"Firstly, you don't have to call me 'Ma'am,' you can call me Aunt Suzanne. I'm like your mother, so there's no need to feel uncomfortable here. You're always welcome whenever you want. Consider this your home too," Aunt Suzanne said in a warm and friendly tone.

She took my hand gently and led me inside their home as if she had known me for years.

As we entered, I stole a glance at Stella. She was looking at me with the same blank expression I'm sure was on my face.

Stella proverbs:

Oh God! Today's really too much for me. 

Oh God, today has been too much for me. I pinched myself to confirm that I wasn't dreaming – I had indeed encountered Mike, not once, but twice, and now he was in my home. How was this even possible? Unfortunately, it was painfully real.

In his arms, I felt safe, as if it was the most secure place in the world. His touch made me shiver with a sensation I'd never experienced before. But when our eyes locked, I felt a sudden coldness, as if my heart had frozen. My blood seemed to run cold, and I was paralyzed in place. I blinked multiple times, hoping he'd disappear like a mirage. But he didn't.

He was dressed in a black leather jacket, paired with rugged jeans. His hair was tousled, with some strands falling unevenly over his forehead, and those same piercing blue eyes that had the power to make hearts flutter – even though I harboured a strong dislike for him.

I scolded myself internally for allowing such thoughts to creep in. Quickly regaining my composure, I tried to release myself from his grip.

When he finally released me, he asked about his presence at my home, his tone unnecessarily rude. How could he be so insensitive? I know I'm not his type, but he could have shown some basic manners. I prayed he was mistaken and standing in front of the wrong house.

Our conversation quickly turned into an exchange of confusion. But then, Mom intervened, and I was scolded for not bringing Mike inside earlier and now I was expected to treat Mike as an old friend. His transformation in front of my mother was baffling. It was as if he should consider a career in acting with such a dramatic shift from his earlier demeanour to that of a sweet and caring young man.

I found myself left outside my own house, a swirl of frustration and disbelief bubbling up within me. Really, Mom? I'm your daughter, after all. But let it go.

I trailed behind them into the drawing room, where everyone seemed to be showering Mike with praise and affection. I could feel my blood boiling with anger.

Suddenly, Mike asked if he could have a conversation with me outside, indicating that he preferred the elders to continue their conversation amongst themselves.

I hesitated, my mind racing. Why did he want to talk to me alone? We weren't friends, and I had no idea what we would even talk about.

I was really hoping that someone else would intervene and ask us to stay inside, saving me from having to spend time alone with Mike. 

To my surprise, everyone agreed and encouraged us to go outside, saying "Enjoy yourselves, you two."

I can now understand the feeling of going against your own wishes. It's like your heart is choking, your mind is blocking, and you're experiencing difficulty in breathing, among other things. 

Now we were in my bedroom, sitting in silence. He looked around the room, and I could only stare at him with a flustered expression. The awkwardness between us was clearly visible.

I really wanted to ask him, "Why did you become the son of Mr. Williams? How is it even possible? You two are completely opposite."

Finally, after a long silence, he muttered an apology, "Sorry".

"Sorry? What for?" I asked, my confusion evident. At the same time, I couldn't believe he was actually apologizing. I had never expected him to even know the word "sorry," let alone use it.

"For what happened in the school...you know, in front of the washroom today," he said, emphasizing each word profoundly.

Before he could offer an explanation, I quickly spoke, trying to ease the tension by laughing, "Oh, it's okay. I don't mind. You and Jennifer must have a special bond. You both seem perfect for each other in every aspect."

However, he didn't react with laughter; instead, he gave me a displeased look. Feeling a bit intimidated, I hurriedly changed the topic and said, "I think every one must be waiting for dinner. Let's go." Without waiting for his response, I quickly walked towards the door, not looking back.

#Thank you, guys, for reading this chapter. I hope you enjoyed it. If you have any suggestions, please leave them in the comment section, and don't forget to vote. Thank you once again. Love you, guys.