➵ dementor, dementor! [Year 3]

As she boards a large red train, she flicks a thick lock of hair over her shoulder, sitting down in an empty lot. She runs her hand through her dark roots, watching the skies graying outside. A boy comes over and knocks on the door. She sits up, staring at his emerald green eyes. He's followed by two other kids, her age. The girl has wavy brunette hair, and the other boy has bright orange hair. The boy with the dark hair slides the door open.

"May we sit here?" He asks, but he's shoved in as a blond boy purposely shoulders him in quite roughly. She stands up, glaring at the tall blond boy.

"Hey!" She growls. "Don't touch him!" She steadies the dark haired boy and pulls the girl and boy both into the compartment.

"You must be that new kid they're all talking about," He flaunts. The girl glares at Blondie and the redhead curls his lip in anger.

"Sorry, what?" She inquires quizzically.

"You know, the... muggle joined late." He spat the word 'muggle' like it was some dirt in his mouth.

"I don't see a problem with that." She crosses her arms, staring hard at him although she had no idea what a muggle was, but it probably wasn't good. She then slams the door shut in his face, her hair bouncing against her back as she turns around to face them.

"Sorry 'bout him, he's a real sucker," The redhead apologizes. She smiles a little.

"No need to apologize. I'm Aurora Evergreen by the way, but call me Rory." Rory sticks out a hand for him to shake. "By the way," she starts, "what's a... muggle?" She whispers the last word as if it's forbidden.

"A non-wizard child born with potential wizarding powers. I'm one," brown hair fills in for her.

"Is it bad? To be one?" Rory asks.

"No! Of course not!" Emerald eyes replies, then slows himself down. "I-I mean, SOME people don't like them, but I think they're perfectly fine." He glances at her and gives her a half smile. The thunder booms in the background and the starts of rain patter on the sides of the train. "I'm Harry, by the way, Harry Potter."

"Ron Weasley," redhead says without shaking Rory's hand.

"I'm Hermione... Granger." Hermione also shakes her hand, seeming a little hesitant. "So, you've never been to Hogwarts before? How is that possible? To come in late?" She wonders.

"None of your business." Rory could hear Redhead snicker. Harry stifles a chuckle.

Hermione sighs, and lets out a "whatever."

"Who d'you reckon he is?" Ron hisses as he recovers and sits down more comfortably.

"Professor R.J. Lupin," Hermione and Rory respond in unison.

"How d'you know that?"

"It's on his suitcase. It says there." Rory points to a gold lettering worn.

"Wonder what he teaches?" Ron frowns at Lupin's sallow and sickly look.

"That's obvious," Hermione replies, "there's only one vacancy, isn't there? Defense Against the Dark Arts."

"What's that noise?" asks Ron suddenly. Harry pulls out a Sneakoscope. 

Hermione studies it before asking in disbelief, "is that a Sneakoscope?"

"Yes, but a cheap one, mind you." Ron peers at it. Hermione's cat jumps out of a basket and leaps for Ron's rat.

"Get out of here!" Ron yells.