Chapter 7 - Relationship Woes

"Ranran, regarding the document we applied for a room in our school...why did you make a mistake?"

"Hm? Which one?" She shift her head to her friend Takuma while Emiko, Shinichi and Ran were walking home using the same route after having parted ways with the two eldest members.

"You know the one? When you asked me to hand over the form for a spot for tantei association under school grounds, for some reason, Michio's name is on it instead of yours."  The cap boy pointed out.

"Ooi, how is it that you knew about it? Were you with her when she or Shinichi applied for the venue?" Ran couldn't help but asked.

"It's not surprise he knew anyway, since his girlfriend is the head of student council within our school. He has access to her office" Emiko recalled based on the athlete's intel.

"Mou! You didn't have to bring that out, alright?" Takuma is a bit red faced.

"Why shouldn't she? It's common knowledge that you and her are in a relationship anyway. Also, I have been both of your third wheel far too long." Ranran said teasingly while his ears became redder at that thought.

Hikari Takuma and Matsuyuki Reina both started dating after Ranran managed to prove his innocence regarding the air football release scandal in their school. Before this, they were next door neighbours who were joined to the hip, since they were the only two existing kids in the retiree community neighbourhood they were both living in. Neither of them actually knew a child their age exist right next to each other since all they ever come across were old folks, till the unthinkable happened.

Having been born 4 months premature, his health wasn't the best for a then 5 year old Hikari Takuma. So his whole life he had gone in and out of the hospital, with the most downcast look etched on him. The only thing that made things brighter, was when a girl his age was too checked into the hospital and patient room he was in. No one could've guess it back then, but at that time, the Takuma anyone would know back then was whiny and often complaining 24/7.

Oh yes, he was as grumpy as a grinch on Christmas. But no one could blame him with the many medical treatments he has to endure on a daily basis. It was unbearable, so whenever he lash out on his parents, they let him willingly. Of course there were times his family tried to coax him on being positive, at times, even tried to inspire him to be like those other children who had a sweet temper despite being under the same shoes as him. Considering they are human, it's only fair they would at times snap at him for being at times unreasonable on wanting to die. After all, his mother was deemed barren, so to selfishly want him to be alive is a must.

But no, Hikari Takuma couldn't be bothered to.

Why should he pretend to smile when things aren't progressing? What is the point? Is life actually like that? All about smiling, even when one is genuinely upset? Even the Japan variety shows he watched, he can't help but notice whenever the hosts or people eat a ramen or anything up to their disposal, they would overly exaggerate that the food taste good, when in reality, he is certain they were paid more to say such things to entice others to buy their stuff according to his Korean step-grandmother.

Before she moved into his ward, he used to have the ward to himself. The thought of him sharing was awful, as there was only one Tv.

And TV is a big deal for him, to kill time rather than be reminded on being bedridden, let alone, be confined within this 4 white walls. The thought of him sharing with another patient his age, let alone, a girl irks him. Don't get him wrong, he doesn't look down on girls. After all, he looks up to his mother who is a director of a company. But he hates it, their idiot interest on gossiping nonsense on who their future husbands are. As if they had no aspiration.