John's Sexuality

This blog isn't saying you should headcanon him as gay, just explaining why I do.

Hello! It is I, Crack ships, and I'll be arguing of what sexuality was John Laurens.

Hear me out:

John was, most likely, gay. I'm not saying that as a definine thing, but the case is rather strong for this.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Reason nr. 1 - his childhood

As many people have heard, John had a pretty bad childhood, since his father was a super big slave owner, and pretty mentally abusive too.

But, we're not going to focus on that.

Instead, let's look into his major disinterest in women. As his father always claimed, he was just a late bloomer, but was that really the case?

Had he ever, even later in his life, felt attraction towards women?

Well, we can't know for sure. He did have a wife, but he never really seemed to be all that in love, or even attracted to her (I'll get into Martha later) but he did share super strong bonds with multiple men.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Reason Nr. 2 - Alexander Hamilton

Now, I'll keep this short, since everyone in the fandom knows of their apparent romance. And rightfully so, even if it was rather one sided (from Alexander's side, of course. He even said 'I love you' to John, something Laurens didn't do back, the closest thing to it being his phrase “My love as usual” ) it still some evidence as to why it could've been gay, rather than straight, bi or any other sexuality.

We all know of John and Alexander's fondness of each other, something that could most definatly point to some sort of romance between the men.

But, at the end, the Lams 'romance' was not much more than just some flirtyness, and possible onesided feelings.

Now, let's get into the main reason why I made this.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Reason nr. 3 - Francis Kinloch

A lot of people don't know about Francis' and John's relationship, and that's really rather sad, since they really were close.

John and Kinloch were rather close, even compered to the bond him and Alexander shared.

Whereas usually Alex would be the one to presume John, and Laurens himself seemed somewhat indifferent to the possible romantic effect of the relationship, with Francis, it was clear that he seemed rather interested.

We only know little of Kinloch, since he's not all that important to history, but from the letters we've seen they were super close.

Even the sheer fact that John was writing to Francis, and emotionally too, is extra important. You see, John rarely even wrote to people personally, when not about work.

There were only a few people who he wrote to
[I] regularly
though.

And Kinloch was one of them, along with people like Henry Laurens, and later Alexander Hamilton.

(PS: we do not know the basics of how they met, and all that, since they were childhood friends in Geneva, Switzerland, where their relationship might've bloomed. It might also be good to add that John protested to his dad's insitsion for him to travel away from Geneva, to England. We do not know exactly, but one could assume he was attached to Kinloch, so he was hesitant to leave.)

Here are a few quotes:

“You and I may differ my Dear Kinloch in our political Sentiments but I shall always love you from the Knowledge I have of your Heart.”