Francis Kinloch And John Laurens

Laurloch

“You and I may differ my Dear Kinloch in our political Sentiments but I shall always love you from the Knowledge I have of your Heart.”

“If I knew how to thank you for your letter, I would do it, but as the case is, you must be satisfied, my dear Laurens, with my telling you that it gave me the highest pleasure.  Continue to write to me whatever Carolina news you can pick up, that you think capable of interesting a Carolinian, and one too that loves his native country; whatever may be your idea of my manner of thinking in political affairs, don’t let that hinder you from telling me yours, and I promise to be as free with you: we hold too fast by one anothers hearts, my dear Laurens, to be afraid of exposing our several opinions to each other.”

“If you see any one I know, among the Carolinians of your acquaintance present my compliments; I would not be thought to have forgot them or my country._  Be certain that I never shall forget you_”

“I still think your political principles wrong, the Sentiments which you have adopted with respect to your own Country strike me with horrour, and I hope you’ll change them_  but I am persuaded you think they are right, and your Heart with me is unimpeached_”

“Ternant will relate to you how many violent struggles I have had between duty and inclination—how much my heart was with you, while I appeared to be most actively employed here.”

“how can we whose Jealousy has been alarm’d more at the Name of Oppression sometimes than at the Reality, reconcile to our spirited Assertions of the Rights of Mankind, the galling abject Slavery of our Negroes"

“I admire your ideas of slavery_  I heartily agree with you, but at the same time can not flatter myself that our country men will ever adapt such generous principles._”

“I have long been indebted to you a Letter, which I am the more sorry for, as there seems to be an explanation wanting on my part, of some Things in the Letter which gave Rise to your last, I have no Copies of what I write, and therefore can’t be exactly sure of all the Expressions which I used in my Letter.  this I am persuaded of that there was nothing in it that could be construed to throw any Imputation upon the Qualities of your Heart on account of the side you took in our political Dispute which I shall not continue, and which will therefore end as much Disputes generally do, each party firmly retaining the Opinion with which he set out.”

“It was from the great Opinion I had of your Heart that I first wish’d to form a Friendship with you, it is from the great opinion that I still have of it, that I am exceedingly desirous of cultivating and improving that Friendship_"

“Beware of Italy my Friend and believe me to be yours sincerely John Laurens.

present my best Respects to our Country woman and believe me yours.  JL.”