Chapter One ~ A Late Confession

Dark paced nervously in his study. He needed to tell him. He needed to tell Wilford the truth. Both Celine and Damien were tugging as his conscious.

'Tell him!' They both said.

He cleared his throat and straightened his suit. Walking out into the hall he called, "Wilford! I need to talk to you!"

Wilford had been getting worse lately. Memories always came and went with him and made him unpredictable.

He'd been talking more and more about old friends lately and seemed to be less happy.

But, he skipped up to Dark when he called for him and smiled, a smile that seemed forced. Dark almost cringed at the smile Wilford gave him. He gestured into his study.

"Join me, if you would?" He asked him, walking through the door once more, taking a breath to calm his nerves.

'He'll find us repulsing.'

'This needs to be done Celine. Stop making us all nervous.'

'I can't help it!'

Wilford tilted his head as he followed Dark into his study.

"You never ask me in here unless it's something important... did I fumble something up again?" He frowned in concern, his bubbly facade cracking as he walked in. "I really am trying."

Dark closed the door and went around to his desk.

"No. Please, take a seat Wilford. I have something I must tell you." He said, seeming a little anxious despite his attempts to remain cool.

The cotton candy murderer frowned softly and sat down, toying with his sleeves. He didn't meet Dark's eyes for a moment before he slowly looked up at him.

His expression was the same wounded one he wore that night at Markiplier Manor all those years ago. It disappeared and he was smiling, cheerful again.

Dark felt like he'd been hit with a ton of bricks when he saw that look. It threw him off. He quickly cleared his throat and sat down.

"Listen, Wilford... do you, remember Celine and Damien?" He watched carefully for his reaction.

The former Colonel tensed up and his expression cracked again. He swallowed the heavy feeling in his throat and all he could do was nod, unable to force out any words.

"I... they're not... dead." Dark spoke, not knowing how to phrase this. "Well, they are, but, they're..." he huffed. "When... when they died," he tired again. "They made a deal and their souls got fused together with a demon. Namely...me."

Wilford stared at him, his expression almost blank but his eyes wide with a mixture of unreadable emotion. "...I don't... what?"

Dark ran a hand over his face. "Celine and Damien's souls are inside my body." He attempted again.

"You... no." His lip trembled a bit. "You're lying."

Dark looked at him. "No... I'm sorry, Wilford, I..." He looked down and away.

Wilford shook his head, his body tensing up as he started to panic. That same wounded expression came back as he struggled against his own memories.

"It's not funny, Dark... it's not a funny joke..." His hand moved to the handle of his gun in the waistband of his pants. "I don't like this joke."

"It's not a joke, Wilford... it... they're in my head," he said, trying to stay calm. "They're... they wanted me to tell you what happened. I don't..." He ran a hand through his hair. "It's not a joke."

The pink haired man stood up, shaking, gripping his gun at his side.

"They're gone. I just accepted that after years and now you tell me?!" He grimaces as tears roll down his cheeks. "Why now Dark?! You like seeing me suffer?!"

"No! I don't! That's the point, Wilford! I see you, every day, suffering. Hurting because of something I did! I just wanted to..." Dark looked down as a tear rolled down his face. "We wanted you to know it's not your fault."

Wilford froze and blinked at him.

"It's not... my fault." He repeated it slowly, tilting his head, causing strands of pink hair to fall into his eyes. "It's... not...?"

"No. It's not your fault, Wil." He said, voice hoarse and laced with regret. "If anything, it's mine." He took a shaky breath, still not able to look at him.

Wilford looked down. He had that familiar look on his face. He was remembering the past and that was never a good thing with him. Dark stood up suddenly and went around his desk, leaning on it next to Wilford. He placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Don't. Please. Don't go there."

"I... killed them..." He looked up at Dark, a pathetic whimper escaping his lips.

"No." Dark stated firmly, squeezing his shoulder. "You didn't. It wasn't your fault. I'll say it however many times I need to. It wasn't you."

Wil was quiet for a moment before he took a step forward and put his head against Dark's chest, seeking comfort despite knowing that Dark didn't like touch.

Dark was a little surprised. He tensed, about to push Wilford away. But, this was Wilford. Someone he'd known for a long time. Who knew him, who knew them better than anyone ever would. He hesitantly wrapped and arm around Wilford, pulling him close.

"I'm sorry, Wil."

He whimpered softly at the hug and cringed, not knowing how to feel about being so close to his two dead best friends, but, not being able to help himself. He put his arms around Dark's waist and sniffled.

"Damien... Celine..."

The two had been quiet this whole time. Now they spoke up. Respectfully. Not the usual chaos of their arguments, but gentle, and soothing.

"They... they care about you, very much. They don't want this to hurt you or hold you back. They thought you deserved to know the truth." He spoke soft and quiet, just like they were.

Wilford nodded slowly against Dark's chest. "I didn't... I never wanted them to s-see me like this..."

Dark gripped him tighter. "It's okay." He soothed, gently rubbing Wil's back. "Nothing you could do will ever change that they care about you. It won't change that... I care about you."

"The big bad boogeyman Mr. Darkiplier cares about me?" Wilford chuckled, raising his head to peer up at Dark, who frowned.

"Whatever..." He huffed, trying to seem indifferent.

Wilford grinned at him, his happiness flooding back as he put his hands on Dark's cheeks. "You can't take it back now. You care!"

Dark was quickly starting to regret his choices, but his lips quirked up in spite of himself. "You're such a child..." He sounded more amused than anything as he looked at Wilford.

He giggled softly. "I know. It's part of my charm!"

Dark let a smile creep into his face. "That it is." He agreed softly, before Wilford poked his cheek playfully.

"We're Cotton Candy and Darkness!"

Dark snorted.

"Okay Wil." He ruffled the others hair. "If you say so."

"I'm going to go bug Google. Bye Darky! Bye Damien! Bye Celine!" Wilford turned and skipped happily out of the study.

Dark chuckled, sounding almost sad at Wil's leaving but content at the same time.

"Bye, Wil..."