⇀02↽

"So that's what he wanted, huh?" Anya glanced in his direction with a doubtful expression on her face. She chewed on the perfectly grilled beef she had put on her mouth and snorted softly at the thought. "Don't you think it's strange that he suddenly decided to call you for help?"

Azul flipped the remaining pieces of meat so that they would cook equally on each side. He turned to the red-head a bit confused.

"What do you mean?" He placed the cooking tweezers down and turned around to fully face his friend. "He is my father, Anya. Despite all that's happened he did do a lot of things for me. Otherwise I wouldn't be here..."

She gave Azul a look of pure disbelief. "You can't be serious-"

"I am." Azul walked over to her and patted her head softly with a kind smile. "He helped me when Eleanor kicked me out. Without his aid back then I wouldn't have come so far."

The girl grumbled and pushed his hand away. She looked up to meet his eyes with a determined look. "You wouldn't even have to leave the house if he actually behaved like a father, Az."

"Anya... Please..." He gave her a slightly deflated look.

"Wait, Az. Seriously, listen to me." She got up from her chair and grabbed both of his arms without looking away from his eyes. "I love you like my own brother. I really care about you. Ever since we've met I've been more of a family to you than any of those people!"

"Anya-"

"Azul!" She tightened her grip on his arms for effect. "I've watched them hurt you before. So forgive me for not trusting them at all!"

"They need my help..." Azul lowered his head as those words left his lips. He felt ashamed that he would still do whatever his father or stepmother asked of him after everything he was put through as a child. And he felt ashamed that he was willing to go against the only person that ever truly cared about him for them.

"They need-!?" She almost choked.  "They need your help for what exactly, Azul?"

The girl let go of him with a groan. She rubbed her face with both of her hands before walking around him and going to turn off the stove.

"What experience do you have with business deals such as this one? None! Your brothers are the ones that went to business school, not you! You cook, Azul. And your marvelous at it. But that's it."

He stared at her back for a moment. She was right. He knew she was right.

Azul could vaguely remember promising himself to never get involved in his father's familiar and financial issues. He had to take care of his own life; deal with his own problems. The Corvin family had absolutely nothing to do with him. Other than the fact he carried their name he had never been a part of their family.

"Hey." He called after a few seconds of just staring at his best-friend's back.

Anya made a sound with her tongue, but did not turn around. She just kept staring out the window of the kitchen as if something out there caught her attention.

"Don't be mad at me." Azul said after waiting for a few moments to see if she would turn around and acknowledge him. But she didn't. "I won't get involved with them anymore. I... I promise..."

This actually made her turn around. She had a suspicious look on her face. "Why do I feel there's a but?"

Azul sighed a bit dejected. "But I promised my father I would go and get this contract for him. So I still need to do this."

"Azul!" She whined and narrowed her eyes at him.

"I won't even have to do anything!" He defended himself. He put both of his hands up in surrender. "Father said is all already arranged. I only have to go meet these guys and get the contract. Then I'll tell him I'm done with these favors."

"You promise?" She crossed her arms. Azul nodded. But the look on her face made him wonder what she would do to him if he ever went back on his word. She actually looked like a mother scolding her children. "Well, if it's that simple why can't he go?"

"He has a board meeting at the company regarding this new investors." Azul made an uncertain face as he remembered his father's words. "Eleanor is out of the country and my brothers are also overseas on business. I'm the only one who can help him this time."

"Yeah! You see what I mean?" She glared at nothing. "That's why I don't like them. They have no respect for you. And how dare that man only reach out when he doesn't have another option!? You're his son! Not his servant-"

Azul watched her rant for almost a full minute. It amused him how much she cared about him. Sometimes Anya would even react as if his family's offenses towards him were actually directed at her.

She was an incredible friend. And he constantly wondered what he had done to deserve someone as incredible as her looking out for him. Especially since - even if he was not proud to admit it - he constantly caught himself yearning for that kind of affection to come from his family.

"You really are the best, you know that?" He said as he stared at her - who was still rambling about how stupid the Corvin were. Azul felt warm in his heart that he had Anya around. "Thank you for caring. It means a lot to me."

Anya glanced in his direction a bit surprised. She was actually mid-way gesticulating with her hands as she expressed all of her strong feelings for Azul's terrible family and had to slowly bring her limbs back down to the side of her body for a moment.

She bit her lip tight. Almost drawing blood from it in the process. But the girly squeal she was trying to hold back still managed to escape her.

She couldn't help it. Azul was just too adorable in her eyes.

"Why!? Jesus Christ! Why must you be this cute?" She burst after wrapping her arms around him and hugging him tight. "You're just like a puppy! Ugh..."

Azul heaved dramatically. "A puppy you're about to squeeze to death-"

...

Azul stepped out of the car his father had lend him for the occasion and was immediately greeted by the restaurant's receptionist. He was informed by her that the men he was supposed to meet with had already arrived and were expecting him on a reserved VIP private room.

He was surprised that the people his father asked him to meet had arrived early. And at the same time he felt relieved.

That meant he could deal with the matter of the contract quickly and just be on his way.

"This is your room, sir." The woman knocked on the door once and then opened it. She gestured for Azul to go inside with a smile. "We'll be bringing the dishes soon."

"Dishes?" Azul stopped and looked at her with a confused face.

"Yes." She offered him another smile and gestured for him to step inside once more time. And this time he complied, but never took his eyes off her. "The other guests have already ordered. But I could bring the menu if you'd like to order something else-"

"Ah? No, it's just..." Azul arched an eyebrow trailing off.

"You've arrived." A strong voice reached his ears just over his shoulder and it sent chills down his spine. Making him swirl around so quickly he almost lost balance. Whoever that was they were too close for comfort.

Azul found himself face to chest with an unknown man. He could faintly identify his expensive perfume and by the beautiful glimmering of his dark blue suit he assumed it was an expensive one as well.

"We were expecting you," the man in front of him said. But this time there was some kind of playfulness embed into his voice. "I'm glad you got here on time. Your father and siblings seem to have a hard time with that."