prologue

Three years later...

I am so late, I'm talking about the White Rabbit sort of late.

My heels click against the pavement as I run to the back entrance of the coliseum. I thought I had enough time between the rehearsal and the actual graduation to run home and take my time getting ready, but apparently, I was wrong.

I tugged on the sides of my cap to keep it on my head as I stumble up to the front of the check-in line and give them my name. Once they hand me a card with my full name printed across it I find my spot in line. The girl in front of me gives me a look as I try to catch my breath. I smooth my gown and make sure my tassel is in the right position as the line begins to move.

I sigh, my nerves increasing, as I step out into the center of the coliseum. Once I was settled into my seat, I let myself breathe. This is really it, I am graduating college with a degree! It had been a long and grueling four years, but I had arrived at the moment that will forever change my life.

It was my sophomore year when I finally declared my major as education. It happened after I volunteered at my younger sister's after school program. I fell in love with teaching. I had spent weeks as a student teacher at a local high school. Now, I have passed my exam and was officially a teacher—well, I can be after I walk the stage and receive my diploma.

I play with the card in my hands and fidget in my seat. The ceremony has started and all the speeches from esteemed faculty where dragging on. I try to find my family in the stands, but their faces all seem to get lost in the crowd.

My entire family has piled into the car to see this glorious occasion. I had invited Harry's family as well, and I had received an RSVP from Anne and Gemma. I had invited Harry too, and he said he was able to get away from his own schooling to be here.

Harry was attending a university in the city about four hours away. He was studying media design, and he spent some time working with the university's newspaper. Impressively, he was nearing graduation— or at least, that was the inclination he gave me the last time we spoke.

I hadn't seen Harry in the flesh in nearly two years. If I remember correctly, the last time I saw him was my twenty first birthday, when we got horrible drunk and I ended up crying.

We talk on the phone from time to time, and send the random text message, but we are both busy. I was busy with my finals and student teaching, and he was working hard through his third year of college.

I am not too worried though, we are the kind of friends that can go ages without seeing each other and when we do it is like nothing has changed. He is still one of my best friends, and I hope he feels the same.

The past three years have been character building. I was on my own, and learned how to be self sufficient. I share an apartment with Eleanor, who graduated last semester, and with Liam and Niall. It was a sweet little townhome, and Eleanor and I banished the boys to the bottom floor so we didn't have to clean their messes.

They were all here to support me today. Niall and Liam graduated a few days ago with the school of fine arts, and now it was my turn.

When all the pleasantries were over and the names started to be called, is when I started paying attention. My eyes followed the line and prayed to every entity that I would not trip and fall on my face.

My row gets up to head to the stage and I feel as though I am floating. My whole body seems to be on autopilot, and it is like my brain is fuzzy with a dream— although that might have been from the shot that Eleanor made me take before I left the apartment.