Five

Jake insisted on accompanying me to the post-graduation bonfire that night. It was another tradition at my school for all of the seniors (or the ones who liked to party, anyways) to have one last hurrah as a class the night of graduation. I knew it wasn't a good idea from the moment the words left his mouth. Danny would be there. Tara, Delaney, Michael. They'd be furious when I walked in on Jake's arm, especially Danny.

Jake also insisted we couldn't tell anyone else about what was actually going on. He and his parents wanted to keep it on the down low, which I obviously understand, but I wasn't sure what I could tell my friends for them to accept Jake back into the group again. I'd have to try and make something up before we left so I was prepared. He could tell I was nervous about the entire situation and tried to assure me everything would be fine. But I wasn't so sure. I guess we'll see when we get there.

My parents were at work, so Jake and I decided to go back to my house before the bonfire. Oddly, it felt like I was bringing him home for the first time. He was the same, but it was different. I couldn't put my finger on what exactly was different.

We went into my room, and I sat on my bed while he flipped through my record collection until he found one to play.

"Can we just lay together?" he asked, taking off his shoes and jacket.

"Yeah, of course." I slipped off my jeans and put on a big tee shirt, then crawling into my bed and patting the spot next to me.

He took off his jeans as well and slid into the spot next to me. We lied there side by side and face to face. He let his arm wander to my waist, pulling me close enough to feel his warm breath on my neck.

"I missed this. I missed you," he said.

I leaned in and kiss him softly. The way it felt reminded me of our first kiss. Maybe, in a way, this was our second first kiss. "You have no idea how much I missed you. I wasn't me without you."

For the rest of the night up until the party, we stayed just like that. Taking each other in, sharing our warmth, and also sharing the occasional kiss.

***

"You do realize it's entirely possibly that Danny will kill you, right?" I warned Jake one final time. "He's been calling and texting me all day trying to keep me away from you."

Jake sighed, "Well, if I do die, at least I got to see you one last time."

"Shut up," I smacked his arm playfully. "I'm seriously worried about your safety. And your face. I don't want him to mess up your face."

We sat in his car parked on a street lined with the vehicles of our former classmates while I tried to work up the courage to walk in. Anything could happen. I wasn't ready.

Jake squeezed my hand. "Trust me. It'll be okay."

And with that, he hopped out of the driver's side and made his way over to open my door for me. He offered me his hand to hold, and I took it. I saw lights and heard music playing from beyond a tall privacy fence that lined Keenan Taylor's enormous backyard. I smelled the smoke from the bonfire and the faint scent of chlorine from the pool water. 

We approached the fence, then Jake unhooked the latched and finally exposed us for all to see. At first, no one noticed us walk in. People were too distracted with chugging beers and passing joints. But, once one person saw us, it was a domino effect. I heard whispers, felt the stares burning into me. I squeezed Jake's hand tighter. I wasn't used to having all eyes on me like this.

"Holy shit," I heard someone mutter. Another mumbled, "I thought they broke up."

I didn't realize how many people I barely even knew were so in tune with my business. Word definitely does travel fast in high school. Gossip is like breathing in that place.