8.2 - An Intruder for Dinner

I wipe my tears away and pinch my cheeks. I push through the Henry's dining hall doors, and freeze in my paces. Katherine of Aargon, the Queen is sitting at the head of the table and Henry is nowhere in sight.

 Katherine of Aargon, the Queen is sitting at the head of the table and Henry is nowhere in sight

"Ah, Lady Scarlett. What are you doing here?" Katherine spat at me, rising from her seat. I can see she also heard of the King's new favourite colour, as she stood before me drenched in a far deeper red than my own frock.

I courtesy, "I have an audience with His Majesty."

Katherine giggled to herself. "What would a stable girl like yourself have to say to a King? I'm sure he can find better uses for your mouth than that."

My fists clenched with fury. I open my mouth to respond and Henry waltzes in. "My ladies," He hums, smoothing out my clenched fists and placing kisses on either red palm.

"Henry how dare you invite her here!" Katherine raged.

"Silence!" Henry begun, before placing a kiss on her cheek, "my sweet queen."

I wanted pierce both their eyes out.

"I thought we could share a meal together, and talk." Henry firmly spoke, ushering Katherine to the seat to his right, and waving at me to join him at his left. I stood firm in my place. Henry tilted his head, and raised his brows. That was enough for my legs to find enough confidence to rush beside him.

 That was enough for my legs to find enough confidence to rush beside him

"I will not sit here and accept your pet at dinner. How dare you treat me so unkindly. When it's behind closed doors at least I can blame my assumptions, but to bring it before me. To bring it before your wife, the mother of your child-" Katherine began. She turned such a deep shade of red I was worried her head would fly off... at least then the night would be less awkward.

"My sweet Katherine, you must accept the inevitable. We can make this work between us." Henry said, reaching for her hand, she pulled away. It was not normally known for Katherine to act out like this. Katherine of Aragon is not only a great, popular queen amongst the people, but she is a strong force and the daughter of great kings. If Henry were to ever truly abandon her and take me by his side, the country would not forgive him.

"I would like to propose an arrangement. I will share your table Katherine, and even your bed to act within our conjugal rights. But I will also share Lady Scarlett's bed whenever I please. Nobody will know of this, but those in the room at this very moment."

Katherine huffed, "Do you believe any respectable Queen would accept such an arrangement? Well maybe I would if you weren't so plainly in love with her!" She shouted.

My mouth hung open. It had never been said nor acknowledged, not by Henry and certainly not by his Queen.

"Katherine..." Henry began.

"You are no longer the man I married. Love makes a man vulnerable, and you have fallen for a girl who is fooling you."

"Enough Katherine," Henrys voice escalates.

Katherine stands before him, "you have pushed me away enough times now

Katherine stands before him, "you have pushed me away enough times now. For what? Because I could not give you a son. I loved you, and I am still your wife in God's eyes. I loved you then and I love you now." She wept, rushing out of the room.

I sat there, cold in my seat. 

"Well that went exactly how I thought it would." Henry said, hanging his head in his hands.

I threw the napkin on the table and rose from my seat.

"Scarlett, please, where are you going? I cannot sleep knowing both of you despise me

"Scarlett, please, where are you going? I cannot sleep knowing both of you despise me."

"Foolish Henry," I knelt before him. "I do not despise you. How could I? You tried to make what this is between us something more permanent, and your Queen would never allow it. But I refuse to be put infront of her again without you consulting with me first. If I ever felt less of a human, it was tonight."

Henry kicked out the chair from where he was sitting and fell to his knees so we were equal. "Can you not see? Everything I do is for you. Everything I do is for us. I want you and this baby to be more to England than what it currently is. I want the world to see you through my eyes." He crept down ontop of me as I lay upon the floor. "We cannot be any lower and further from God than we are right now, and still, still I love you." He trembled, carressing my hair and tear stained cheeks. "Surley you know."

I pulled on his vest and brought his lips to mine. Soon enough we were entwined in passion, moving in sync. My heart grew erratic, what would tomorrow bring? But as his Henry continued to whisper his affections against my ear, I didn't care about a tomorrow at all.

 My heart grew erratic, what would tomorrow bring? But as his Henry continued to whisper his affections against my ear, I didn't care about a tomorrow at all