A gift not asked for

Call me spoiled but I get sad when I recieve a gift that I didn't ask for.

Every year I get asked 'What do you want?' and I never knew what to awnser. Until one day that I said 'Nothing'.

They laughed and played it off as if nothing was not an option as if my wish was ridiculous. That's when I knew what I want does not matter.
They just want to feel like they are doing a good job by giving me something. They wanted to feel special by making me happy. They wanted to stop feeling guilty for not giving me the one thing I wanted the entire year, love.

So by asking for nothing made them feel unwanted. By asking for nothing made them realise that no matter what they do they can't make up for lost time anymore.

By asking for nothing I asked for something that they were too selfish to give me. They didn't want to leave me alone on the day that I wish never happened.

I think by giving gifts one the day you were born is like apologising for allowing you to be born.

They feel guilty without knowing why.

I truly wish for nothing. I wish that there was no pain. I wish there was no happiness because without happiness I would not know what pain is. I wish there was no day so that I wouldn't feel so afraid at night.

I don't want to die, I simply don't want to 'be'.

I wish for nothing, instead I was given a life.