About Me

My name is Nikki Mitchell, i am 17 years old and have been apart of Guide Dogs for the Blind for a year now. I am currently raising my 2nd puppy for the program, a 7 month old male golden retriever named Kona. The first puppy i raised was a yellow lab male named Scott. I got him a transfer around 13 months and had him until he went to formal training. Eventually he was Career Changed for dog distraction and was dropped from the program and is now living a happy live as a pet with my friends family.
When i first heard of the program, i didn't think i would he able to do it because i didn't know how my pet dog, Amber would react. i didn't want her to feel abandoned at all. However, when my friends that are in the program too started to bring the dogs to my house, Amber loved all of them and i realized this was something i could do. I did my first three puppysits with a golden retriever named January. After that i did my first puppysit with Scott before he was transferred to me and he just never ended up leaving and became my first puppy to raise.
I love being apart of guide dogs, it had has taught me so many valuable skills such as communication. I am someone that doesn't normally like to be the center of attention, but when i have the dog i'm so used to having all eyes on me that i don't mind it anymore. I've learned how to raise dogs positively and effectively. I wish i had known these skills when i raised my pet dog, amber.
It is a joy to have these dogs in my life, i've honestly never been happier. There are days where it can be difficult, some dogs have their off days too, But i wouldn't change it for the world.
I am very active in the GDB community, i have an instagram account for my current puppy, Kona (@Kona_gdb) where i connect with dozens of other raisers and talk and share ideas about our puppies.

I am writing this to share my adventures with Kona and all the puppies that i plan to raise after him. So if you want to hear funny puppy stories and see cute pictures, check it out!