Chapter 1

*Flashback*

It started one summer day, around mid-july. I was about 7 years old. I was in my room playing with my favorite toy ever, a green turtle. I remeber so vividly. My brother rushing into my room with my little sister in his arms. Screaming at me to follow him. Then hearing gunshots and the wailing sounds that sounded like my parents. The pounding downstairs. After 15 minutes hiding in my closet. I remeber my brother gripping my shoulders tightly while looking at me in the eyes.

"Do not leave until I come back", he said very quietly. He then turned around, putting his hand on the closet handle, shaking. He looked at us over his shoulder.

"Also", he says quietly.
"Do not leave Brooklyn alone Avery".

"I wont Anthony", I said, my voice quivering.
"I will never leave Brooklyn alone". I pulled my sister even closer to my chest, while staring at my brother.

Anthony turned his head back around to face the door. He then slowly twisted the handle and opened the door with a creak. He took a slow breath in, before taking a step out of the door. Once he is out of the closet, the door shut with a small and quiet click. Thats when Brooklyn started whimpering with tears running down her cheeks.

"Shh, its ok Brook", I say trying to comfort her. This happening has been a big suprise for all three of us, no doubt in that. I then heard more pounding, as it gotten louder.

"Is there anyone in here", A loud voice shouted. Brooklyn was going to say something, but I covered her mouth with my hand before she could. I didnt want her to say anything in case it was still the horriable people from downstairs. Then I hear Anthony's voice.
"There are people up here, my sisters", He said nervously.

I heard footsteps coming closer to the closet door. I then quickly let go of Brooklyn and shuffled to the door. I shot out my hand to reach the handle, but was to late. The door opened, having bright peircing light seeping in. I forgot how bright the sun was, since I was hiding in the closet for more than a hour tops.

"Avery", Anthony said quietly.
"Antony", Brooklyn said very loudly while pushing me over to reach him. I stood back up, and I noticed something different about my brother. He looked broken. His cheeks were shiny from crying, and his eyes were red and puffy.

I then saw someone behind him, a couple police officers towering over us. Without thinking, words just tumbled out of my mouth.

"Where's mom and dad", I asked noticing they weren't here.
"T-they", Anthony started but stopped. He shook his head vigorously. He then turned around to face the police officer behind him.

"Its ok kid, I'll tell them",the police officer said. Anthony just turned his head away, and stared at his feet.
"Are they ok", I asked with tears swelling in my eyes. Just ready to spill.

"How can I say this", The police officer says scratching the back of his neck.
"Your parents passed." That broke me. The tears started pouring down my face like how a dam broke and a gush of water rushes down the channel, where a river was. I looked down at the floor and just knelt there, hearing my sister screaming with sadness. I then felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Dont worry young lady, your grandmother should be coming to pick you three up. You are going to live with her." I looked up to see the police officer. Tears were still streaming down my face, but I lifted my arm up to wipe up my tears.

"Grandma?", I asked. Last I knew she lived in Georgia, and we are in New York City. That meant we would have to leave everything and everyone we knew. I looked down to the floor again with wide eyes.

"Oh my", I heard a shrieking voice of a women. I turned around to find my grandmother staring at me and my siblings.
"Oh come here children", She said kneeling down and opening her arms. I quickly stood up and ran to her, followed by Anthony and Brooklyn. She gave us a big hug, letting more tears to stream down our cheeks. This is the start of my new messed up life.

A/N
--------
Yes, it is probaly too short. But it was a cruical scene to Avery's past, and I thought it would help you understand the next chapter.

P.S. Also i would like to thank @bluegreenred101 for pushing me to write more and publish.