V. already gone

-❅-  

-❅-  

The night after Eina's and Jon's wedding, Jon and his uncle Benjen, went to Lord Stark and asked if Jon could join the Night's Watch.  The conversation was fairly short since King Robert interrupted, telling Lord Stark something very important, but got his wish. Lord Stark said that he could leave as early as the next morning if he wished.

Jon didn't feel better after their conversation, however. He didn't want to leave his whole family behind. He didn't like the thought of never having a family like his father did. He wanted to take a wife at some point in his life but he soon realized that that was all down the drain. 

Lord Stark was taken aside by King Robert and they went into the family graves alone. It was very quiet as they walked down the cold stone steps. Robert stayed silent, even as he looked at Lyanna Stark's grave. A single tear spilled over his cheek before he turned to his age-old friend and finally spoke.

"I always loved her," he breathed, "I wish she was still here everyday."

"As do I," Lord Stark spoke softly looking between his sister's grave and his beloved friend. He sensed there was a different reason for Robert pulling him aside besides seeing Lyanna again. 

"She should be somewhere beautiful, a garden, a hillside," Robert's voice was jagged as he spoke, " not in some dark, cold place."

"This is where her family is," Lord Stark replied, waiting for his friend to calm down.

"Oh, Ned," King Robert sighed, "I fear of the thing I must tell you." The whole room was silent. Lord Stark's blood pressure rose as he took in the look of seriousness on his friends features. Robert's eyes were dark but still glassy. Still regretful.

"Jon Arryn," King Robert whispered. "He's dead."

Lord Stark took a moment to let the words sink in. Jon Arryn was like a father to him and Robert. Jon had taught him many of the skills he used everyday- how to be fair, how to use a sword, how to be a good man. Lord Stark suddenly felt a whole within his heart form.

"How?" 

"They said a fever took him," Robert replied. He looked glum about the whole ordeal. Jon Arryn was also very close to Robert and that's why he acted as the King's hand. Lord Stark could sense why Robert brought him here now.

"My King, I-"

"Please, Ned," Robert pleaded, "You know I wouldn't be asking if I didn't need you."

-❅-   

The next morning was strange for Eina. She woke up next to her husband for the first time. It brought a smile on her face like no other, the way he held her in his arms. She could hear his heart slowly beating and the warmth from his chest seep through his skin and into her.