The Map in Progress

I honestly didn't think I'd make it this far.

[I'll add more details to the district names in the near future]

The City actually now has a full, if not particularly detailed map.

Now, the hard part of doing this portion of the map was having to get around and do something I've been procrastinating on for the better part of the year. For a while now, I've just been identifying districts and places as I write. Which is a good way to either write yourself into a corner, or contradict some of your earlier world building.

And so, as the map crawls along towards being useful, I'll show you what I've done so far. An outline of each district and where the walls are within the populated part of the City.

 An outline of each district and where the walls are within the populated part of the City

There are sixty-three districts in the City, and sixty-one districts on this map. The reason for that is Lower Central is set beneath High Central, and the Undercity is underground.

1, High Central:
The unnumbered block in the middle, around the Spire. The location actually has two districts, High Central and Lower Central. Lower Central houses the most critical manufacturing in the City, mostly pipes and machinery. High Central is built in part to house the City's most important people, but the towers are designed to collapse heavily and potentially explosively if a Golem ever reached this point in the City.

2, Toppled Hill:
Originally named for the hill and quarry, now stripped bare and urbanized. The district actually existed before the Channel was created, and was cut in half by its development.

3, Ashwood:
Home of, among other things, the drydocks where the Midnight Songbird and the Fury of the Dawn were built.

4, Redmoon:
One of the largest industrial districts in the City, the place was named because the smoke and other pollution means the moons always appear red here.

5,Waterrun:
A bit of an urban planning debacle created this district, as the City expanded to rush to the river and expand its intake of water.

6, The Sprawl:
The single most densely populated district in the City.

7, Rustfields:
Ironworks, steel smelting, a lot of that happens here. Streets are occasionally quite red from iron rust. Much of the district has a noticeable red tinge when seen from a train, and has had that tinge since before the First Invasion.

8, The Hollows:
Most of the district is set below the level of the river. Built after quarry activity ended, since stone mining became increasingly difficult. Train production was initially done here, but eventually was shifted to the docks to combine with boat production and to take advantage of close access to water. The initial production hub eventually became the Irondrome.

9 Shadowless Streets:
Fire pipe distribution is particularly intense here, as the place serves as the main distribution hub for both the north and west sections of the walls. There are so many pressure vent pipes that between those fires, the Spire, and the sun, much of the day is spent without any shadows.

10, Gallowglass:
The site where Tiberion Paulmer was hanged. Tiberion was a strong proponent of the limitation of a Maester's authority, and his death is considered the instigating event of the Maester Rebellion that ended just before the First Invasion.

11, Mireshed:
Called the Mireshed because the ground remained a boggy mess, in defiance of a slew of very fussy agriculturalists. Eventually drained and urbanized.

12, Wallowisp:
Named this in memory of lives lost during the First.

13, The Fallows:
Originally a section of cropland continuously overlooked for planting because of pre-founding contaminants in the soil. Eventually given over to the expanding urban development.

14, Riverrise:
High banks on the side of the river at this point continuously protected this district from flooding.

15, The Mural:
Not a happy name. Given for the Gloamtaken during the Second flash-vaporized by a raging Crafter.

16, Riverwash:

17 Emberhold:

18 Withering Evergreen:

19 Farhold:

20 Westerwisp:

21 Leveerise:

22 Northwatch Hill:

23 Whistlewood Hill

24 The Alluvial:

25 Cinderpath:

26 Blackenbriar:

27 Whiterush:

28 Cinderhold:

29 Crystalspire

30 Southward

31 Sorrowsoul

32 Sapling

33 Glimmer & Gallow

34 Upward

35 The Reach

36 Vigil:

37 Ward:

38 Shield:

39 Barrens:

40 Clamourhub:

41 Blackash:

42 Fertile Wastes:

43 Northmallows:

44 Southmallows:

45 Deadmarsh:

46 Simmering Wastes:

47 Grenire:

48 Copperpit:

49 The Billows:

50 Redbloom:

51 Steam & Snow:

52 The Wisps:

53 The Bilge:

54 Ashbloom:

55 Redhowl:

56 Toppled Terrace:

57 Ember's Tears:

58 Outreach:

59 Overreach:

60 Graingrave:

61 Orchard: