About the Military; Equipment

Army uniforms will vary a lot depending on the time period, and the needs of the army.

In real life, the army is a very conservative institution. It doesn't really like to change, unless it absolutely has to. But if it has to, it will change at the drop of a hat. One good example were regulations about men's beards. Pre World War 1, as long it was neat and well groomed, beards were perfectly acceptable. But during the First World War, after gas attacks started happening military regulations demanded soldiers be clean shaven to be able to fit gas masks reliably.

I tried to draw similar inspiration for the army of the Everburning City.

Below is the basic kit for a foot soldier in the Everburning City

Coat: Uniform includes a black, padded coat as part of the uniform. Basically a Gambeson coat. (For those of you who only dabble at being super-nerdy, Gambeson is a padded armour made of quilted linen or wool, and stuffed with scrap cloth. A popular form of armour during the medieval era for its weight, durability, and that it doubled as a warm coat) Non-Commissioned Officers wear the insignia of their rank on the shoulders. The coat was good at limiting the damage from blunt trauma, and keep someone from biting through. It was also fairly easy to remove if it got snagged in something.

Clothes: White shirt because it's hard to disguise open wounds when the blood stains it. Made official policy after a war game study suggested soldiers were falling ill and dying due to untreated injuries. Brown pants because recycled dyes tend to be brown in colour. Also, brown pants.

Boots: halfway up to the knee, black, coarse hemp-fibre treated with flame-resistant oil.

Backpack: contains a general field kit: foodstuffs, water bottles, basic tool kit, basic first aid supplies, one change of clothes, several pairs of socks.

Sword: standard issue one handed arming sword, referred in-world as a shortsword. Somewhat basket-hilted, slightly large handle for a two-handed grip, though the weight isn't designed for it. Weapon comes in a one size fits all mentality, so height restrictions for the army do apply.

Salamander: standard issue salamander is a four foot tall rifle. In the Fifth, the weapon was a standard single-barrel breach load with a clamp. Shortly after, a wheel chamber was developed that allowed four shots before needing to be reloaded. Salamander shot is fairly large, and because it is an incendiary tool, it heats the barrels extremely quickly. Too many shots too quickly could warp and bend the barrel.

Knife: standard military issue utility knife, excellent for stabbing in close quarters if a soldier is being grappled.

Salamander shot pouch: heavy pouch set on the belt. Can hold four dozen rounds.