About the Military; Terminology for Groupings

I've heard some readers express some confusion about the military terminology. This chapter is an attempt to address some of that. Most of it is, much like ranks, borrowed directly from real life. The size of each group varies in most militaries, so the numbers I list here are the size of the groups in the City, not necessarily for your country's armed forces.

A Group is the smallest combat unit in the City's armies, and is sized as the smallest group that can operate in any theatres of war. The size of groups within a larger unit is determined by the number of communications specialists available. If more are available, the size of the unit is reduced. If not, it is larger. A group is commanded by a corporal, who often does double duty as the assigned communication specialist.

A Squad consists of two to four groups, and usually numbers around twelve soldiers. A squad is expected to have available specialists for every key critical role: artillery, complex communications, field medicine, and mechanics. Any number over eighteen is considered over-strength. The loss of any of these critical roles means the squad is not fighting at capacity. A squad is commanded by a sergeant, and is the largest size that a non-commissioned officer is allowed to command.

A Platoon is made up of two to four squads, and is normally expected to number twenty-four soldiers. Any number over thirty is considered over-strength. A platoon is expected to be a fully-functioning combat unit in any circumstance, with full specialists trained for every combat related duty. A platoon is commanded by a lieutenant.

A Company consists of three to six platoons, and is expected to maintain at least two different specialized platoons. The expected number of soldiers in a platoon is 120, including a small attaché group attached directly to the captain.

A Battalion usually consists of 600 soldiers, made up of four to eight companies, and is lead by a major.

An Army us normally five to eight battalions, and is commanded by a colonel. Usually about 3500 soldiers, five to eight batallions

A Wall is a section of the City in which armies are situated. These are usually determined by compass points, and are commanded by a secretary or by the Lord Captain. Rank for a Secretary is as an adjunct to the Lord Captain, rather than as a personal responsibility set. Overall command above and beyond an Army sized unit falls directly to the Lord Captain or designated adjuncts, and are known in the field as battle groups.

The somewhat unwieldy layout is a relic of era when the City did not number forty million people. The City has never had to work with battle groups of more than a few thousand people.

During the Fifth, the City had twenty armies, five for each compass point of the walls. The standing army numbered roughly seventy thousand soldiers.

When a soldier is introducing themselves to a superior officer, they start with their rank and name, and then list their assigned unit from largest to smallest size.

For instance: Corporal Valen Redgrave, North Wall, First Army, Second Batallion, Fourth Company, Third Platoon. (Sorry, mild spoiler for The Fifth)