CHAPTER 1: Life Before

Five months ago I shared a log cabin with my parents and my four siblings. We lived in the big woods where we had a little barn and a small log cabin. down about a mile down the path is a beautiful waterfall. This waterfall is where we washed our clothes and cleanse our bodies after a hard day of work.

In our woods there is no time to just sit around. When it's harvest time, it's harvest time alright! When it's preserve and jam making time, it's that time! We are never lacking, well, I might of before. That might be because I was only 6 years old.

Natalie, Abby, Meadow, John are my beloved siblings. Natalie was fourteen. Abby was twelve. Meadow was ten and John was eight. Oh, I miss them so much. Once in a while they teased and mocked, but I soon got used to that.

Our log cabin is a small,but well made house. The kitchen is about the size of a wagon. It consists of a wash sink and a stone fire pit. Since we live in the woods without electricity, we have to fetch water and kindling. That was usually my chore. In our bedroom space, we had a mat laid on the dirt ground. Ma and Natalie made this comfy mat out of our sheep's wool. Everybody had to sleep on the same mat. That got a little annoying, but I got used to it.

In the barn we have two milk cows, one beef cow, two horses, six chickens, and two pigs. Animals are our main source of food and transportation. Our horses names are Sunshine and Beauty. Beauty is my favorite, no offense to Sunshine. Beauty's name matches her looks. I mean it. She's strong, beautiful, and kind. Oh, as gentle as a butterfly!

Our barn is bigger than our house and sometimes when I needed more space, I run into the barn for some. I got a little more room in there. There I checked out the animals, talking to them. I never really knew a small little chicken could have such a loud voice.

At the waterfall, we washed our clothes. We always had to check the water before we did so. Some days we played in the water, wading and splashing. We had so much fun. When I had a chance I climb on the rocks to closer to the falling action. It was beautiful.

The water gracefully falling showed peace to all the land. When it smashes against the rocks, it gives a symbol of victory and strength.

Ma is usually in the kitchen, baking, cooking, or making preserves. Natalie and Abby usually helped ma. Meadow, John, and I helped pa. That was the fun part. We drove cattle, plowed, planted seeds and much more.

Our fields weren't the biggest, but they were big enough. It's hard to make a big field when your in the woods. Beauty and Sunshine were also helping out on the field. They had to plow and hoe. It was hard work, but the handled it well. Oh, I miss that.

I miss all of the togetherness with all of my heart. I want to see them, be with them, but it I can't because I was selfish. Because of selfishness, I can't  be with my family. Here I'll tell the story.