12

GRAYSON

Since I could barely sleep, I got up early to make breakfast for everyone, and I don't care what anyone says, my pancakes will make anyone feel better.

Ethan is the first to come downstairs.

"Look!" I catch his attention, showing him a messy what was supposed to be heart-shaped pancake. "It's for Sarah."

"I don't think that'll make her feel better."

"I know, but it's a start, right?"

"I dunno G, I don't know if she'll ever forgive you for this one. I mean come on dude, on her birthday?"

"I know! I already feel terrible!" I say, getting a bit louder.

"You should feel terrible." Me and Ethan break into an argument, as Sarah makes her way down the stairs.

"I'm leaving." Her words cause our fighting to stop.

"Wait! I made you this."

She looks at the pancake.

"Aw, thanks Gray." She takes the plate, opens the trash can and drops it in. "See you guys, I'm walking home today."

As Sarah walks out of the door, I can't help but follow.

"Sarah wait," I grab her arm.

"I told you never to touch me again," She breaks from me. "You know what? Never even talk to me again."

"Sarah wait!" I beg.

"What Grayson?!" She yells, tears filling her eyes, as she tries to blink them away.

"I'm sorry." That's all I could say.

"I'm done." She starts to walk away again.

"Let me explain." I try once more.

She stops dead in her tracks, and turns around, waiting for an explanation.

"Okay, I know it looked bad, what you saw last night, but it was a misunderstanding."

"Yea, because me seeing you suck Kate's face off, was a misunderstanding." She rebuttals sarcastically.

"No, she kissed me."

"Okay, well how long did you let the kiss go on? You probably weren't even going to stop her if I didn't come along."

"That's not true, Sarah. I was just out of my head, I had a little to drink. I know I shouldn't have but I did."

"And how do I know that's the truth?"

"Because," I say, trying to move closer, but she immediately backs away. "Because, I didn't want to kiss her that night. I wanted to kiss you. I wanted to kiss you because... I'm in love with you Sarah."

"Yea? Well I love you doesn't make up for what you did."

"I'll make it up to you." My voice cracks, as I'm on the verge of tears.

"You can't." Those were her final words, before leaving me by myself in the middle of the street.

I was now full on crying.

But what the hell, I deserve to get my heart broken.

I walk back home, wallowing in my tears.

I come back into the front door, and Ethan looks as if he's about to leave.

"Where are you going? I could really use a brother right now."

He grabs his jacket, and looks at me with anger on his face.

"Well, sorry, but I know someone who could use a best friend right now." He snaps.

"You're just gonna leave me?"

"I gotta be there for her, she's been my best friend for 18 years."

"But, I've been your brother for 18 years."

"Okay, but do you understand what you did to Sarah? To her self esteem? Her self confidence? I told her you liked her, that's why she was going to tell you. I told her she should. This was supposed to be a happy ending, for you and for her. But you ruined it."

ETHAN

"But you ruined it." I snapped, out of anger. I couldn't express how much anger I was feeling in that moment, and I know I probably shouldn't have said that, because it wasn't entirely his fault. But I did. "You know what she told me? She said she's done Gray. With you."

I could tell it hurt him, but I couldn't stand it anymore, I just left.

I needed to go to Sarah, I can't even imagine what she's feeling.

I rush to her house, probably going 60 miles over the speed limit, and I don't even bother knocking on the door, I just run upstairs to Sarah's room.

The door's locked.

"Sarah?" I lightly knock.

"Go away." She says through her tears.

"Just let me in!" I jiggle the door handle.

"No! Go away!" She yells.

"No. I'm staying right here." I say sternly.

I sit on the ground, leaning against her door, putting my face in my hands.

I hate to see her like this, and even though Grayson is my brother, I can't even express  the anger I feel toward him in this moment.

After a while, I hear silence.

"Sarah?"

Still nothing.

"Sarah?"

I start to panic at the lack of response on the other side.

I slam into the door hard enough to break the lock.

The window is open.

"Sarah?" I stick my head out of the window.

I see her there, sitting on the roof, with a blank expression and tear stained cheeks.

I climb onto the roof, taking a seat next to her.

"You okay?"

"Do I look like I'm okay?!" She snaps, and immediately regrets it. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, I understand."

"Do you want to stay the night? I could use a friend." She smiles weakly.

"Of course." I put an arm around her, pulling her in.

"Can I ask you something?" She asks.

"Anything."

"Do you think I should give him another chance?"

"Grayson?"

She nods her head yes, tears starting to fill her eyes.

I look at her, and get this overwhelming feeling, I just want her to stop feeling this pain.

"Hey," I pull her close. "Um," I'm speechless, our faces inches apart.

I slowly put my hand on her face, and she stays still, looking into my eyes, and I can feel her breath on my lips.

I lean in, and kiss her.

I don't know what took over me.

I deepened the kiss, putting a hand on her waist.

She didn't stop me, she kissed back.

I don't know why either of us did it.

Or why I did.

Maybe we were just both vulnerable, or maybe I realized, after 18 years, I have feelings for Sarah.