Part 27

Katara's POV:

Darkness became all she could see for what seemed like miles ahead. The dark surrounded her. Am I dead? Her voice could only be heard in her head, silence still filling the eerie plane. She could only remember the wedding, her last memory being the first kiss they shared as a married couple. Everything went dark from there. What seemed like hours passed by, a million thoughts flooding her head. The silence was soon broken by an eerily familiar voice, a bright light appearing in the distance. Katara...

"W-Wha?"

Come here, Katara...

"This is it..."

It always seemed like a played out joke when people would always tease, never go towards the light. Entirely convinced she was already dead she stepped forward, taking a deep breath with each step. Her heart raced as she approached the light, reaching a hand out as to touch it. As soon as she did so her eyes opened, finding herself in a strange location.

Katara peered around, finding herself on a small sand covered island, water all around.

"Where am I?"

Somewhere you've never been...

She glanced to her side, a familiar female beside her. The Painted Lady. Her presence both terrifying yet comforting, she knew where she was. The bigger question now being how it was possible.

"How did I get here?"

You're lost dear.

"Am I dead?"

Not quite... Something severe must have happened to you. Your body needs healing but your mind needs it much more. You hold a greater importance to the world than you might think.

"I didn't know it was possible for a human to-"

You are in touch with your spiritual side. Similar to me you are a healer, when you do die this will become your home. It is not your time yet...

"How do I get back?"

That is for you to find yourself, but I can assist in guiding you in the right direction. There are a few people here who would love to meet you.

This was all so much for her to take in, how would she ever find her way back? She had a husband, family, friends, she couldn't let go of her life so easily. She needed to find out what happened to her, that could be the key to finding her way home.

"Do you know what happened to me?"

No, but I could sense your spirit the second you entered this plane. We are connected now. I am eternally grateful for the deed you helped me and my home with those years ago, I will always be there to help you anyway I can. Come with me, there are a few places I must show you.

Katara was scared but trusted the spirit before her. She took the woman's hand, closing her eyes for a quick moment. She reopened them, finding herself alone in an ice covered world, so familiar to her home but different. Peering into the distance a figure approached, traveling on a large iceberg. The closer he came the more familiar he appeared, dark hair, blue eyes, and head adorned by an animal skin hat. Avatar Kuruk.

He jumped off from the platform, cocky smile as he greeted her.

"Ah, finally a worthy bender in my presence."

"Huh?"

"Come on, come on! Let's spar! Show me your skills,"

"I don't think this is really the best-"