Mousefur's Secret: Part 2

Mousefur's Secret Part 2, The Ancient Clans

The Moon Pool

A glistening lake stood before my tribe. Snow still lay on the ground even though we were well into new leaf, but it added to the mystical effect of the forest. Thousands of pine trees stood as tall as our mountain home and were lush with green furs. The bright sun was just peaking over the tree line. The tribe sat stiff and exhausted on the shore to the lake, but I felt as if I could run a thousand miles. We found our new home, I just knew it. This had to be where we were meant to stay.

I bounced up and down on my paws, eager to start exploring. Once Rock nodded an okay to let me roam I scampered away like an excited kit.

"Where you headed Mouse?" a voice behind me shouted. I turned to an older she cat Pebble and her mate Lighting looking at me with curious expressions.

"I'm going exploring! Want to come?" I said ecstatically. Pebble flushed and said "I'm not really up for it." I stared at her in confusion, then I noticed the slight swelling of her stomach and the way she was fondly staring at her belly.

"You're going to have kits?!" I exclaimed happily. Pebble nodded and looked down at her belly with a soft glow in her eyes. Lighting purred proudly.

"Dove is going to have her kits any day now; you two could share a nursery together!" I chirped. Pebble smiled at me warmly.

"We still need to find a camp before I can have a nursery," she reminded me. My ears perked up at this challenge.

"I will go and find a camp then! Lightning will you join me?" I said formally, but I was really shaking with anticipation to be off. Lightning agreed and we sprinted off into the dense woodland. Prey skittered around nervously as we barreled through our new home. Suddenly we escaped the woods and were on a large moor.

The grasses seemed to have waves, just like water. It was so beautiful.

"Let's go back to the woods, there's nothing up here," Lightning said.

"Wait a minute," I murmured. "Something tells me we should check this out." I began padding away and Lightning reluctantly followed after me. We crossed over a ridge of rocks and wound up by a stream. I walked along it until we found the source to the water. A silver cave contained a clear pool of the bluest water I had ever seen. Stars almost seemed to shimmer inside.

I leaned forward with thirst clawing at my throat and I lapped up some of the water. I immediately fell asleep.

"Hello Mouse," a voice whispered.

I turned and saw Cloud and Feather gazing at me with round eyes. I ran forward with joy and brushed against my siblings. Cloud began wrestling with me like old times. Feather wanted to join but I could tell she had important news to share with me. I stood up and hastily groomed my fur. Cloud grinned and sat beside Feather.

"I have good news and bad news sister. But I am afraid I cannot tell you everything. I can only warn you," Feather began. My eyes widened as I intently listened to her.

"Beware the water that runs shallow, a current rages below the surface and if you are not careful it could destroy you," Feathers jaw went rigid with worry, however she continued speaking.

"And now for the good news. You have found the moon pool, here you will be able to speak to us and your other ancestors. Now it is time to say goodbye, Mouse." Cloud wished me good luck and they began to fade.

NO! I wanted to scream. I ran after them but they just grew farther away from me until I was blinking my eyes open. Lightning stood over me worriedly.