Chapter 4

~Tara, the receptionist portrayed at the top~

Javier's POV

"Happy birthday mom." I muttered and smiled placing the bouquet of white lilies at the bed of her tomb. I sat at the side and pressed a kiss to the headstone with her name inscribed on it. It had been five years since her death but it still felt like yesterday. I brought out the journal she left me and started reading some of the favorite things she loved to do and her birthday wishes for each year. My mom wrote down her birthday wishes up to her 60th year. It was like she knew she was going to die. That wasn't a surprise seeing as osteoporosis took her at the age of 40. This year she wished for love for me-- the same wish since the year I turned 21 but then I guess I just haven't found the one or maybe I'm not capable of loving someone. I talked to her, telling her about my work and how the brothers werr doing. I told her about Drew and how happily in love he is and how much he dotes on his kids.

My mom had beautiful features and even when she shrunk from the sickness, those features were still very noticeable. Her unruly black curls that sat atop her head were a good contrast for her silver eyes. She looked like a character from a fantasy novel with her high cheekbones that needed no contouring and her striking silver eyes. Sadly I got none of her features except the shape of her face and nose. I looked like the dad I loathed.

The setting sun cast an orange hue across the graveyard and it was also one of the things I looked forward to on visits. It was also my cue to leave. I pressed another kiss to the headstone and got up dusting my slacks of dried grass. I walked the distance to my car, the only audible sound is my work shoes crunching dried leaves. I got in my car and drove home.

"Hey Javi." Brent greeted as I stepped into the house. I looked up at him and smiled.

"Happy birthday to her. Just know she loves you." He said in a low voice patting my back. Doris ran past me and I scooped her up making her squeal and giggle.

"Put down." She squirmed in my hold and I tickled her.

"Stop Yavi!" She calls me Yavi. I guess that was how her three year old brain interpreted my name.

"Stop doing this?" I tickled her again and she laughed so hard that she farted in my face.

"Oops!" Her eyes went wide and she slapped her tiny hand over her mouth.

"Eww Dee!" I pinches my nostrils together and scrunched up my face feigning disgust. She laughed and jutted her tongue out mocking me. I laughed and walked with her under my arm to her dad's office. I knocked and he looked up from his desk. He motioned me in with a wave of his hand.

He rose a brow pointing at his daughter "Why is she in your armpit?"

"She farted in my face." I smirked knowing she'll deny it and try to defend herself. I put her down on her feet and immediately she turned to me pouting with her hands perched on her tiny waist.

"Yavi is lying." She drawled "He tickled."

I laughed at her defensive stance. "But you did fart on me." I scooped her up again.

Her cheeks turned rosy red and she huffed. I chuckled as Drew just watches the whole scene amused. I took a seat across from him and Dee squirms in my hands till I put her on her feet. She ran out of the room probably in search of Darren. The two are never apart for long.

"So what's up?" He started without looking up from his laptop.

"With?"

"Just, you know... work, life and stuff. We never really get to see. You're always busy." He stated.