Chapter Five

“Can we really take all of them on?” Nico whimpered.

“There’s hundreds- thousands of them!” Wren agreed.

“Then stop talking and fight!” Curan leapt high into the air, slashing through several Negi in the process.

“Nikolos!” Gungnir tugged on the prince’s arm. “Nikolos, let’s resonate!”

“Huh? We can?” He blinked at her.

“Yeah! We’ll take ‘em out real fast!”

There was an ear-splitting shriek as a Negi, much larger than the others, landed heavily and bared dark fangs at them.

“I think that one’s the boss.” Ash breathed.

“I see,” Nikolos nodded determinedly. “Then let’s go, Gungnir!”

“Yeah!”

There was a bright flash, and Nikolos felt the surge of power that came with Resonance.

With the glow faded, a young woman stood where Nikolos had, her long hair flowing in the wind. The sun glinted off of her golden armor, and she twirled Gungnir.

“Wait-Nikolos!? Is that you!?” Hyli’s ears shot straight up.

“Huh? Oh!” Noticing the change, the woman examined herself. “I became a woman…”

“You’re a Valkyrie!” Gungnir explained. “A fearsome lady warrior that serves the gods!”

“Not sure how I feel about that…” The wolf girl murmured.

“Well, we don’t have much time,” The woman that was Nikolos said. “So I’d better make the most of this!”

Using the wings on her boots, Nikolos surged upwards, twirling to make the lance a drill, The enormous Negi roared as the two of them sliced through one of its waving tendrils. It slashed at Nikolos with another arm, but the prince-turned-valkyrie simply slashed through it.

“So powerful!” Agnion exclaimed.

“That is the power of resonance.” Saniel said simply, firing three arrows into the Negi. Nothing was doing much, however: The lost limb quickly grew back, and the arrows simply sank into its body. Nikolos landed lightly beside Dmitri.

“We need a second resonance!”

“Hey Big Cat,” Narayanastra clung to Dmitri’s arm. “Think you can handle resonating with me?”

“Depends on what you can do.” The lion answered shortly.

“Oh, Sweetie!” The buxom woman laughed. “I told you before…”

She leaned in close to whisper in his ear. “I never miss.”

“Then let’s resonate.” Dmitri’s ear twitched irritably, but his blushing was obvious. Ash, standing next to Hyli, heard her snort loudly.

Dmitri began to glow, and his usual military uniform was replaced with long and colorful fabrics. Two pairs of mechanical arms spread out around him, all four palms aimed at the Negi.

“It cannot recover if you slice it straight through!” Negae told them. “Try to make it a clean shot!”

“Let’s go, Dmitri!” Nikolos cried, and the lion was happy to oblige. The Valkyrie flew high, drawing the Negi’s attention upwards. A dozen dark arms stretched out in pursuit, pulling the rest of the creature’s body up as well. It was this action that revealed the creature’s weakness, a glowing red spot akin to an eye.