Chapter 8: The Speech

With a nod, Chris turned to the audience and raised his hands, silently asking for them to be still. Just as they had always done, the students either ignored or failed to notice him. He clapped his hands next and loudly asked for quiet.

When Bea saw a few children in the front row laughing at Chris, she took a deep breath and let out a loud piercing whistle that silenced everyone immediately. Chris looked back over his shoulder at her and she winked.

"Stops my dogs from barking at the mailman," she shrugged.

"Okay, most of you know why we're here today," Chris began. "Bea Peters was a student at Manila Community College back in the early nineties. She was the top scoring student in my English class every year I taught her. She's here to talk to you about her writing and her life. And maybe if you're lucky she'll sign some copies of her last book. So shut up and behave while she's talking."

Bea chuckled at the bluntness of his introduction and the abruptness of the ending. She looked down at her feet as she stood up straight and allowed Chris time to clear the stage. In the second row, she saw and heard a pre-teen boy mutter 'we've all read the last book' and she smiled.

"No, you haven't," she assured him. "The book you'll all be getting isn't officially released in the Philippines for another couple of weeks." At this, she saw a wave of excitement sweep over many of the student's faces and she waited while the atmosphere in the hall abruptly changed.

Each presentation was different according to the audience and Bea took a moment to consider the group before her. She thought back to her days at school and what it would have taken for her to have been interested. The speech was not going to work, she realised instantly. She caught Louisse's eye at the back of the hall and smiled.

"Okay. Let's have a show of hands from anyone who does not want to be here right now," she said to the audience. Uncertainty flashed around the room until Bea put her own hand up. "Come on," she encouraged, "it's all right. Who doesn't want to be here?" Slowly arms began to rise until the room was full of waving hands. "There you go," Bea smiled, lowering her own and taking a few steps closer to the front of the stage.

"I usually start these things by recalling the time someone asked me why I write," she told the students. "But today I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have grabbed any of you. See the truth is I'm lucky. I have a killer imagination and I can write. And as well as I used to do in Draydan's class, I sucked the big one with most of my other subjects. I liked some of them well enough but I didn't have the concentration or self-discipline to be a good student. Ahh," she exclaimed, pointing to a girl in the fifth row. "I saw that! Now you think I'm gonna give you all a speech about self-discipline and how if you do well in school, then you can be as lucky as me, right?" Embarrassed, but smiling good-naturedly the girl nodded. Bea laughed to put her at ease. "Nope," she assured. "Not happening today." She paused, looking around the room. Finally, her gaze centered on Louisse and Bea sighed. "I don't know what the hell I'm going to tell you." She shrugged her shoulders and slowly shook her head. "Anyone got any ideas?"