Chapter 12: The Lecture: I Hate Bullying

"I guarantee you there are at least five people in this room that are homosexual; either gay or lesbian. Statistically speaking, that number is probably closer to twenty.

Some of you might know it and some might not yet but all of you will eventually realise that it isn't something you can fight. Not while being happy.

From what I have seen in my life, and this is only what I know, sexual preferences are not something we can choose and yet it comes with a price we have to pay regardless. We are seen as second citizens and while in many countries we have the same rights, we still had to be given those rights; they weren't ours until we fought for them. Had I been born with three eyes and two and a half legs, I would have suffered less prejudice because it is morally wrong to single people with disabilities out."

"Are you saying it's not fair?" Bea looked around for the owner of the voice and smiled when a boy stood up. "Hi. My name is Tim and I'm a homosexual," he said proudly, earning himself loud applause and laughter.

"Hi Tim," Bea chuckled. "No. I'm not saying it's fair or unfair; it just is. Who gives you the most crap around here, Tim? Who is your nemesis?"

"Well, um, that wouldn't be the smartest thing for me to say, would it?" he replied, with a smile.

Bea dipped her head in agreement. "True. Okay, let's do it this way then. Who doesn't like bullying and who doesn't care that Tim is gay?" Several hands at the back of the hall suddenly went up and Bea pointed to some of the older boys and girls. "Okay, so you four. You're going to do me a personal favour and watch Tim's back for me, okay? Tim, if you have trouble, tell one of those four, all right?"

"Really?" Tim asked, obviously loving the idea of personal protection. "Wicked cool!

Okay, so Phillip is the worst of the bullies in this school."

"Phillip? Where are you?" Bea called, a voice in the back of her head wondering if she knew what she was doing. When a tall, handsome white-blond boy stood and stared at her with an insolent expression, however, she had a flash of confidence.

"Hello Phillip," she greeted. "Can you tell me why you harass Tim? Honestly, without the chance of reprimand from the teachers."

The boy smirked. "'Cause he's a faggot."

Bea waited but there were obviously no words to follow. "Faggot is a type of meatball over here, dude. You mean because he is of the homosexual persuasion."

"Whatever," Phillip sneered.

"And you understand that if you harass Tim after today, those four in the back are gonna come down on your head like a storm of bricks? You do understand that, right? Only you are exceedingly blond so I want to be certain." A few students chuckled nervously before a heavy silence settled over the hall.