An Act of Valour

Jake and the rest of the 99th precinct detectives were at a gala at town hall it was a ceremony for Captain Holt being the first openly gay, black police commissioner of the NYPD.

For Jake this was a proud moment, he never gave up on Holt during the Seamus Murphy situation and he helped get Holt back on time to his initial interview.
But without Amy being on maternity leave, he wasn't with his angel but he knows that she'll be fine and would want him to have fun.

Jake decided to stand by Holt.

"Sir, I just wanna congratulate you, your life long dream has been achieved"
Said a beaming Jake.

"No, I want to thank you Peralta. You did not give up on me and proceeded to help get me back for the interview."

Holt stuck out his hand for a handshake.

Jake accepted this gesture with a smile.

"You deserve this, sir"

Jake pats him on the back as he walks over to the drinks table to grab a glass of champagne when he spots a man lurking suspiciously around the venue hall.

He grabbed his radio, knowing Terry would be working on security and only he would have a bulletproof vest on if things escalate.

"Terry, on your 6 there's a suspicious man, he looks like he's been scoping the place out, over"

"Copy, Jake I'll see him out"

"Alright, sarge but be careful if my suspicions are correct he could be armed"

"Alright Jake, but stay near Holt if it is what you say, top priority will be keeping him safe."

"Roger that"

Jake put back his radio and grabbed two glasses of champagne and made his way back to Holt.

He handed him a glass.

"Here you go, quality champagne for the new commish"

Holt cringed internally but made an exception as today is a joyous occasion.

But he noticed Jake was on edge.

"Jake, everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. It just dawned on me that I'm gonna be a father... It finally sinked in."
Jake said nervously hoping Holt would believe his lie, well not necessarily a lie, he was telling the truth but not the truth of this current situation.

"Detective, you will be a great father. I am sure if that-"

Something caught Jake's eye and that was the glimmer of a gun barrel from a man behind Holt.

The shots rang out.

"EVERYBODY GET DOWN!!"

Jake screamed as he dived into Holt clattering him into the ground.

He lay on top of him so he wouldn't move.

But Jake couldn't move if he tried, he was frozen stiff laying on top of the new commissioner.
He wanted to scream out but nothing would leave his lips.

The world around him was getting dark but he could hear the shouts of Terry saying that that have capture the gunman.

With a light smile on his face Jake started to lose consciousness.

"Peralta, you can get off me now"
No response.

Holt started to shake him

"Jake, respond. Jake? Jake? JAKE!"

Each time Holt called his name his voice started to break.

At the hospital