THE COMING OUT

The Gryffindor common room had been the least affected after the Slytherin's during the war. The wall had broken down around the portrait , probably by a stray spell casted aside but it had been mended. The walls still adorned  several shades of red. The portrait of the lion stood above the mantel of the fireplace. The windows were tall that looked out onto the grounds. The only new things around the room were the portraits of those who had died in the war that hung on one wall. It had felt like home before the war to Harry, but now it hurt more to be in the room and he was always finding excuses to not spend time there. Hermione knew the reason hence didn't nudge him unless it was necessary.
"Where were you?" greeted Hermione's voice as soon as Harry entered the common room. She and Ron were propped down the armchairs near the fireplace. The room was empty except for them. He walked over to them putting his bag on the table as he propped down on the armchair facing towards them. He looked at his friends. Hermione had curiosity written all over her face and Ron some what to a certain point had the same look.
"Well.. I have been meaning to tell you guys something" he started "I am well.. I well.. I am gay" he said.
He looked at the fireplace. He wasn't sure how they were going to react and the fact that he might have done something despicable in the eyes of his two best friends made him feel scared and so he tried not looking at them.
"Harry" called Hermione. He hesitantly looked at her.
"Harry, we know"she said.
Harry looked at Ron.
"Blimey! I may be thick when it comes to books and finding horcruxes but seriously you couldn't have done a better job of hiding it" said Ron, bemused.
Harry looked at his friends. He knew they loved him. They loved him enough to make up for even the entire world being against him. And he wondered why in the first place was he scared to let them know. He smiled as Hermione walked up and sat on the armrest of his chair.
"Well I think it's wonderful" she said putting her arm over his shoulder.
"About time Mate" said Ron smirking.
Harry felt a weight lift of off his shoulders as he found comfort in their words. If anything, he had wanted them to be the first to know.
Ron suddenly got up from the chair and strode towards the stairs to the boys dormitory. Hermione, after a moment of looking after the striding away guy, got up from the armrest and walked towards the opposite girls dormitory stairs. Harry looked after both his friends, the smile diminishing of his face wondering where they were off to. A moment later, Ron's grinning face popped up from the door followed by a breathless Hermione. Ron slowly took out three quite small bottles of butter beer from behind his back and waved it at Harry and Hermione whose hand was loaded with snacks. They laughed as Harry joined them in. They pulled in the table closer and arranged the chairs in a circle.
"How did you get that bottle of butter beer?" asked Hermione.
"Well.... ever since school started, the house elves down the kitchen have been a lot more accommodating" said Ron turning a slight shade of red as he opened the bottle.
Hermione smiled and looked at Ron. Harry could almost swear that they were exactly like a puppy's eyes. No wonder, this was the reason that triggered Hermione to finally kiss him during the war. Ron had been worried about how the house elves would be informed during the war and that's when all the basilisk fangs had been dropped from Hermione's arms and they were lunging on to each as if there was no tomorrow. To be fair, they didn't really know if there might be any at that time. And although it was a scary and sad and dark time, Harry distinctly remember thinking "About time".
They clinked there bottles into a cheer as Hermione said, "To Harry, may you find the love you cherish" and they drank to it.
As they sat there trying as desperately to quiet down their laughter as to not attract any attention, Harry couldn't have asked for anything better. And for some reason he wondered, if he were to ever introduce Draco Malfoy as his boyfriend, how would his friends react?