Chapter Two

As soon as there's the barest trickle of life on the horizon, the horns blow for the tax audience to start again. The line trickled through the imperious doors, peasants walking through with huge sacks of wool, and then walking out empty handed. I'm nearing the front now, and I prepare myself for the inevitable. I despise Lord Adelbert. His balding head, gaudy robes, and greasy, fleshy skin. He acts like he's the king of the world, and that he's being fair by taking this extra wool that's, in his words, "Such a burden for thee". I move closer to the door, shifting my bags on my back, waiting for my turn.

As I get closer to the doors, with their carvings of gold, I hear the squire at the door asking for names. He marks in a huge book their name, how much wool we've brought, how many family members we have, and the number of sheep we have. I chant the answers in my head. Three sackcloths of wool, my mother and me, ten sheep. Three sackcloths of wool, my mother and me, ten sheep.

When I reach the door, the questions are asked.

"Name?"

"Alexandra"

"Family?"

"Just me and my mother"

"Number of sheep?"

"Only ten."

I hate this. It's a back and forth monotone rhythm of the pathetic life that surrounds me every day. It's enough to live in it, I don't wish it to be written down in a book where all can see.

"Miss?"

The squire is looking at me pointedly waiting for a response. Oops. Lost in thought again.

"I'm sorry, what did you ask me?"

The squire sighs, rather dramatically in my opinion.

"How much wool did you bring?"

"Oh! Three whole sackcloths."

He makes a sound of mild approval in the back of his throat.

"Down the hall, and into the chamber."

I walked through the huge doors. Such a waste of money, encreasting them in gold. I walk down the hallways of the palace. It really is a beautiful place, if rather unnecessary. I love tarrying in these hallways, looking at the paintings and tapestries that depict the rulers of the past. I love looking at the haughty women with their rigid postures and regal features. Their dresses are obviously of rich silk, and the embroidering on them is incredibly fine and shimmers and shines as if made of gold. I can see into these ruler's lives just by looking at their portrait. This one over here, Lady Wilhelmina, is the youngest ruler of our kingdom. She was only thirteen when she came in possession of the throne. Her pale, round face housed gray kaleidoscope eyes that seemed to see into your soul. Long, black locks framed her face.

However, I cannot look at the paintings forever. I must hurry and get my taxes paid for. Besides, I'm holding up the line.

I walk past the hall of portraits, leaving them behind. I stand in front of the huge archway that led into the audience chambers. Two trumpeters stood at the doorway, holding their shining instruments high. I walk up to them cautiously, dragging my sacks with me.

"Um, hello?"

I say. Waiting for some signal as to where I should go, and when.

The left trumpeter looks at me with a snobbish look.

"You may proceed."

And I do. I walk through the doorways, into the audience chamber, and stand before the abomination that is Lord Adelbert. I sink to the thickly carpeted floor, bowing.

"My Lord."

I say, hoping that he won't be too long to answer. Kneeling is extremely difficult, especially in a dress. I cannot rise until he permits it. If I do, he sees it as a direct challenge to the throne. And the throne is something I do not want.

"You may rise"

Lord Adelbert's voice is nasally and course. I rise to face him and try not to snarl. He'd only gotten more disgusting in the past year. I can't stand to look at his arrogant, meaty face. Yet I have to. I'm getting this over with.

"My Lord, I have brought you three sacks of wool as tax. I hope it pleases you."

Now I let the slightest snarl into my words. I am done with his place pettiness. Take my wool. Leave me alone for another year.

"Ah, yes. I know that you have labored long for this wool. And now it becomes a burden."

I sigh inwardly. I knew this was coming. I've heard this every year, and now I have to suffer to hear it again.

"And I, like the great protector and leader that I am, will take this burden off of your shoulders."

He motioned to the guard beside him.

"Take it."

I said.

"With your approval, may I leave?"
I don't care much for politeness. I want to leave before Benard comes. That lad is too much for me to deal with. His father somehow doesn't disapprove of him flirting with d girls. Even though I do. Not like they care what I think.

I bow deeply, ready to leave. Lord Adelbert looks at me and waves his permission. I sigh for real now. Only now, it's of relief. I walk back through the coradoir. I am awfully glad that I didn't run into Benard. His only good quality is his looks. I find it odd that Benard has good looks with his father being like he is.

I shift my bag on my back. I know I should leave. I really need to get out of this horrid place. But, before I do, I want to say goodbye to Wilhelmina. Her bravery inspires me every day. I walk back to the hallway where she stood in her purple garb. I count the paintings. One, two, three, four, five, six. Wait. Where is she? Where the tremendous painting once hung, there now was a...hallway. Odd. More paintings line the walls, ones that I've never seen before. They aren't portraits, they're...landscapes of some sort. They look so real. That river over there! I can hear it rippling, the water flowing, splashing. That tree! I can feel the gentle breeze, smell the fresh air. I feel happy. Free. A dozen sounds encompass me, numerous smells, countless feelings...

What am I doing? I look back behind me. A copious amount of paces back, maybe sixty or seventy, is the entryway to the landscape hallway. How did I wander all the way down here? I start back. I'll already be in enough trouble as is.

Stop.

What? Stop? No. Of course not. That's nonsense.

Turn.

Um, who's speaking?

You.

Me?

I stop and take a deep breath. No. This is crazy. I'm going crazy here. I need to-

Go.

NO. I do NOT need to go.

I gasp. Suddenly, there's a tugging sensation in my gut. My entire body feels compelled to-

No.

Yep.

I'm guessing there isn't a way out of this.

Accurate.

Can you at least tell me where I'm going?

...

No comment. Huh. That's how this is gonna be.

The voice is gone but the feeling is not. I have to go down this corridor I have to see what is calling me.

Ugh, I sound...like my mother.