Chapter 2: Competition

Walking into my English classroom, late again, I realized that there was only one available seat in the whole room. And it was next to Nathan.

My previous relaxed emotion was mixed with terror, delight and awkwardness. I walked to the seat beside Nathan and sat down. I stared up at the teacher, prepared for another lecture about being late. But, fortunately, he hadn't even noticed. I sighed with relief, and started taking notes on the totally boring subject Mr Harvey was raving on about.

"Are you always late like this?"

I looked up to see Nathan's big, blue eyes focused on me. I had to remember how to breathe before I said, "Yeah, pretty much."

He laughed. "I'm Nathan. Nathan Read."

"Audrey Wavers," I smiled at him. "You're the new guy, right?" As if I didn't already know.

"Yeah," he nodded. "So... I don't really know the school that well yet. Do you maybe want to show me around?"

My heart jumped. "Sure," I replied.

He smiled that beautiful smile again. I smiled back. We didn't talk for the rest of class, but when the bell rang I turned to him.

"So, um, how about I show you the library?" I asked him.

"That'd be great. Do you read much?"

We started walking towards the library.

"No, not really," I admitted. "But I go in there to talk to friends and stuff like that."

"Oh. Maybe you could introduce me to your friends."

I laughed. "Do you want to meet all of them or just the single ones?"

Nathan's eyes sparkled. "No. I've actually already got my eye on someone."

I raised an eyebrow."And who would that be?" I asked, even though I already knew.

He gave me a warm look, and I smiled. We started laughing as we walked through the doors of the library. The library in our school isn't very big, but not many people go in there anyway, so it's the ideal place to hang out. We went up to the back of the library, where a couple of my friends, Emma and Kristy, were drawing. They love drawing.

"Hey Kristy, Emma, this is Nathan." I introduced. "Nathan, this is Kristy and Emma."

"Hey Audrey. Hi Nathan," greeted the girls. Emma was giving Nathan a flirty look, but I glared at her warningly and she looked away. Nathan looked at the drawings the girls had done.

"These are really good," he complimented.

"Thanks," said Kristy.

All of a sudden, someone ran into me for the third time that day. I spun around to see my friend Carol's bubbly face. We both laughed as I straightened myself out.

"Who is this?" Carol asked suddenly. She'd caught sight of Nathan, and was eyeing him mischievously.

"This is Nathan," I told her throwing her the same look I gave Emma. But it didn't stop Carol. She sat down on the table, still looking at him flirtatiously.

"Hi. So, you're the new guy, huh?" It looked like I was going to have some competition. Carol had long, dark curls and deep green eyes, and was quite pretty. Emma had short, blond hair and was just as pretty as Carol. I wondered why Nathan was unaffected by all the female attention he was getting. Just as long as Bianca stayed away, I'd be fine. Oh, who was I kidding? As soon as Bianca saw Nathan, she'd be all over him.