Chapter 5: Tantrum

Chapter 5: Tantrum

My three days of suspension passed quickly. Mum didn't take it too hard. After she heard about Jimmy's death she was too distraught to punish me. She had been good friends with his mum, and knew how much he loved Krystal.

When I went back to school, I found out just how much I had missed in only three days. When Erin said something about the police suspecting all the murders to be linked, I stopped her mid-sentence.

"What do you mean 'all the murders'?" I asked, suddenly panicked.

She frowned. "You don't know?"

"Know what?" I cried, exasperated.

"Kirsten. She was -," Erin choked up. A tear rolled down her cheek. "She was strangled. They found her body in the bush in the park. She had dark purple bruises all over her neck. It was horrible." Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath.

I put my arm around her. "Oh my God. I'm so sorry."

Carol still hadn't shown up, so they assumed she was killed by the same person who had murdered Jimmy.

All the deaths had everyone distraught.

Krystal didn't go to school for two weeks after Jimmy died. No one seemed happy anymore. Even people who didn't know Jimmy that well were pulled down by the depression.

I was pretty upset too. Kirsten and carol were really good friends of mine. Nathan was totally shaken up. He followed me everywhere, refusing to leave my side. He even walked me home, but found it hard to let me go when we got there

"Don't worry, Nathan," I assured him. "I'll be fine." But I wasn't so sure. The murders had me pretty spooked. And Nathan seemed terrified for my safety.

"I know, Audrey, I know," he said, throwing his arms around me. "I just... I don't want to lose you. I love you." That was the first time he'd said it. He pulled away so he could see my reaction.

My heart stopped beating completely, and I almost forgot how to breathe. "I love you, too," I smiled.

He leant down and gently pushed his lips to mine. The kiss was short and sweet, but my lips tingled long after it was over. Nathan grinned. Then he glanced at his watch. "Crap. I didn't realize it was that late."

I glanced up at the night sky. He was right. It was a velvety black-blue, and the stars twinkled exactly the way Nathan's eyes did.

"You better go inside," he said.

I looked up at him with pleading eyes. "But I don't want you to go."

He laughed. "Five minutes ago you were trying to get me to leave. Then I kiss you and you want me to stay."

"That was before I knew you loved me," I smiled. I touched his cheek, and Nathan placed his hand on top of mine, as if to preserve the memory.

"I do love you," he said. His teeth glistened in the dark as he grinned. "I always have. And I don't want to leave either, but my dad will be wondering where I am."

"Okay," I agreed half-heartedly.

Nathan laughed again, his beautiful eyes twinkling. I turned to open the door, but Nathan put his hand on my shoulder, turning me around again.

"One more thing," he said, smiling mischievously. He gave me another quick kiss, catching me by surprise. "Goodbye," he whispered in my ear. And with that he walked away, still grinning.