Chapter 6

Moving day finally arrived. In less than an hour, Emily had packed all her belonging. She didn't own much after all. The different creams and products stacked on the bathroom shelf barely filled a vanity case. It took no more than a suitcase and three large bags to hold all her clothes while CDs and various other things took up all of two boxes. When she had finished, the bedroom bore even more resemblance to a hotel, or worse, a hospital room, with its bare white furniture and clinical emptiness. She sat on the bed, took a couple of deep breaths and looked at the pile by the door.

There it is, she thought. My life fits in just those few bags.

Half an hour later her dad had put them all in the boot of the car. Sensing her fragility, he squeezed her in his arms. Today, he was taking charge of the emotions in the house. The atmosphere was still dense, but at least mother and daughter were talking.

The goodbyes were short. Neither wanted to say much. There had been enough tears between them. Emily had reassured them that all would be fine. She promised to call soon and visit regularly. Right on the doorstep, the two finally exchanged a long, overdue hug.

They drove in silence. Emily didn't know what to say. A mere passenger, she looked at her father as if seeing him for the first time. Lately, he had revealed himself and showed how deeply he cared for and understood her. He had put himself forward to help and support his daughter, and she didn't quite know how to express her gratitude.

They soon arrived at the new flat. Her father helped to carry her things up the before he toured the apartment, starting with the bedroom right opposite the front door. A spacious room, quite big for the few clothes he had just been carrying. As he turned around he saw the built-in wardrobe with its mirrored door and smiled; this was the perfect room for Emily. Stepping out and to his right, he walked through a near empty lounge. Cosy enough. And finally, the separate kitchen on the right. There were all the standard amenities. It offered enough space without being ostentatious. He was confident she would settle in just fine. He walked out of the kitchen with a smile.

He congratulated her once more and told her she seemed to have found a good place before preparing to leave.

'I should go now.' Reading her face, he added, 'It'll be fine.'

'Except that Mum's now unhappy with me.'

'Of course, she isn't. She loves you, and she will miss you. Right now, her head is caught in a bit of a storm. You know how she is. It's because she doesn't want anything bad to happen to you, that's all.'

'But you, do you trust me?'

'I do. I know it's time you start a new life, on your own, away from the nest. I am very proud of you, Emily. We both are, it's just that we show it differently.'

She couldn't respond so she walked to the kitchen and opened the fridge, as if she expected that a miracle had filled it up.

'I can't even offer you a drink. See, I didn't think of it... rubbish!'

'That's all right. I'd better get going anyway,' he said, punctuating his sentence with a wink.

'Thank you, Dad, for everything.'

He replied with a genuine smile. 'Come and visit us soon.' He disappeared as if in a gust of wind.

Alone. Finally. What now? The apartment felt huge compared to her bedroom. And silent too. She didn't feel like unpacking; there was no need to rush. There was also nothing to eat, but she wasn't hungry. The evening was still young, and yet it had been draining. She stood in the lounge, looking around in what was mostly an empty space with minimal furniture. And then it struck her, an epiphany. From this moment, she was on her own. She was free, but that also meant she had to do everything herself, the chores, preparing dinner, fixing things. She had grown so accustomed to being looked after; it never occurred to her the time would come for that to change.