Chapter 17

'Hello, pretty princess,' said Olivier in a hoarse voice.

'What time is it?' she replied, sleepily.

'Nine o'clock. As I know that you like breakfast, I wanted to make sure we have enough time to go down.'

'Nine o'clock already! I think I'm going to need strong coffee this morning.'

'Really? Reaching for caffeine already? It must be serious.'

He was looking at her lovingly. The fatigue of the previous day had not taken away his smile.

'Have you seen yourself this morning?' she replied. 'You look like you slept outside.'

'No, I was snuggled up with my little fairy.'

She struggled to sit up in the bed.

'What did you do to me yesterday?'

Her voice trailed on the last words.

'What do you mean?' he asked innocently, moving closer.

He sat on the edge of the bed, his torso twisted to look at her better. She could almost feel the strength of his eyes on her breasts and, without thinking, she picked up the sheet to cover herself.

'First, you make me walk fifty miles; then you get me drunk. I'm going to take refuge at the British Embassy.'

He was delighted to see her in such a good mood this morning. He was swimming in bliss and convinced himself that she was doing the same.

'No worries, today we have a lighter program if you wish, it's not a problem. We can relax until tonight.'

'What's happening tonight?'

'A very special dinner. We leave at half-past six, well-dressed.'

She straightened up, squeezed the pillows behind her back and opened her eyes wide to look at him. His smile had broadened if that was even possible. She composed herself.

'But you didn't tell me about that. I have nothing nice to wear.'

'I thought we could go shopping this afternoon and find something for you.'

'Where are we going tonight?' She insisted.

'Don't you want it to be a surprise?'

'No, I'd prefer to know.'

Her tone had adopted a new firmness that made him stop the game of riddles.

'I'm taking you to a dinner cruise on the Seine.'

'Oh!' Was all she said, processing this information. Surely that was a very romantic gesture?

'Yes, I thought you would like to see the city at night while enjoying a good meal.'

He leaned over to kiss her and, slipping an assured hand under the sheet, grabbed her breast.

Emily jumped violently. Olivier moved back, a little surprised.

'Your hand is so cold,' she explained, not wanting to hurt his feelings.

She left the bed and went to the bathroom. Olivier dressed quickly, regretting somewhat that breakfast took precedence.

He had promised her a calmer day, and she insisted they should have plenty of time to change before dinner. They went shopping for a dress. She protested weakly when he told her that it was on him, part of the trip. He offered it heartily, and she agreed, especially grateful since she had not planned for such expenses. But, once again, she felt divided between the satisfaction of receiving a gift and the irritation of being dolled up for another person's desires.