Chapter 29

A week had passed since Jax's announcement to infiltrate the government agency. That meant that Liam and I had three more weeks to prepare for our own objective. Daphne helped us to solve the remaining clues and now we only had to find Celeste Lily.

In the past week, I had more intimate moments with Liam. With Jax... Well, he's been ignoring me for the whole week and I'm not sure why. I questioned whether he knew that Liam and I had been getting closer and closer.

I tried to reason with myself, telling myself that Jax possibly couldn't find out. I did wish I had Jax with me. He was, in some sort of sense, different from Liam. Jax had that charming vibe to him, the kind that every girl wanted while Liam was more of the caring and comforting type.

There I go again, I mentally berate myself. I couldn't always spend my time thinking about those two boys. I sigh inwardly and proceed to Liam's room where we were supposed to find Celeste Lily.

"I brought the rest of the clues," I said, placing them next to the other clues.

"Oh great! Thanks. So, how was your day?"

I stiffened, taken aback by the question. Sure, he would always ask me that but this time, it felt different. Almost like how someone would ask their lover. I would know, considering that he had once been mine.

"Uh, it was great!" I say hesitantly, forcing a smile. He smiled at me warmly before turning back to his work. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I place my hand over my chest, trying to calm my heartbeat that was throbbing against my chest. I sit beside him and watch him try to figure out how the clues would help us to find Celeste.

"Do you have any idea how to find her?" Liam asked me, "I am so clueless right now, there's nothing that hints on how we're supposed to use the solved clues to reach Celeste."

"Here, pass me the clues, let me take a look at them."

I place the clues on the floor starting from the first clue to the last clue in order. That was when I realised something, the clues had a single letter on each of them, I frown in confusion.

"Hey Liam? Do you see these letters?"

"Yeah I do, they weren't there before, were they?"

I shook my head no. I spelled out the letters.

"Bruler ces," I look at Liam in confusion. "What the hell does that mean?"

Liam looked up at , "If I'm not wrong, that's French. And it means, burn them."

"So what? We're supposed to burn them?"

"I guess so," he said.

"You have got to be kidding me, I thought it would give us the location of Celeste Lily! Not to make us burn our hard work!" I muttered.

Turning to Liam, my eyes widened to see Liam holding a match.

"You can't be serious!"

Liam simply shrugged, "If that's what they're telling us to do, so be it."

"What if we aren't supposed to burn them? We can't find Celeste Lily if we destroy the clues. Come on Liam, think about it!"

He sighed and walked up to me, gripping my shoulders firmly. I jumped at the sudden movement.

"Just trust me on this Chloe and if burning them is the wrong option, you can kill me however many times you want," he looked into my eyes with determination.

"You aren't really giving me an option, are you?"

"Nope."

I grumbled and shook his hands off my shoulders, instantly yearning for his touch again. Liam smiled at me and knelt down, preparing to light the match on fire.

"You shouldn't burn them here, what if someone comes in?" I asked.

"You're right, let's head to the forest then," he replied.

We headed towards the forest, ensuring that no one saw us.

Liam slung his arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer to him.

"Are you ready to burn them to ashes?" He asked with a boyish grin on his face.

I stared at him incredulously, "You're really excited to burn things, aren't you?"

He nodded enthusiastically, his hair flopping over his forehead.

Oh how I would love to feel them beneath my hands as I kissed him.

And there goes my hormonal self, I thought to myself.