The truth

Slowly I walk along the corridor of the museum. I am in the field of photography. From time to time I stop and look at a picture a bit longer.

Suddenly I come to a turnoff. 'Fotogalery' says the sign. Unsuspecting, I follow the signpost. The first picture on the wall shows a seahorse. I want to go further but suddenly I notice something in the picture. Looking closer, I realize that the seahorse does not hold a stick like first thought, but holds a small, pink plastic stick. I keep walking.

The next picture shows a turtle which has tangled it's head in a plastic bag. I'm getting sad. This turtle will not have lived much longer.

As I continue to walk, I fall into a frenzy of images and am overrun by feelings. A garbage reef beach. Huge ocean areas full of plastic waste so that you can only guess the water below. Is that really our world? Yes, it must be. The photos proof it.

There are more and more images of oceans full of garbage and dying animals and plants, which are surrounded by deathly plastic particles.

I start to think that I can actually feel a plastic bag brush against my arm when I see a picture of a diver inmidst of a cloud of plasticbags and I immediately get goose bumps.

Suddenly I realize what the humanity is doing. What I am doing. We are destroying our home, the earth without even thinking about the consequences. What would we do without water or oceans. So why are we using one of the most beautyful and important things on earth as a Dump?

I feel deeply sorry for every bit of garbage I've ever thrown into a river without thinking and I can't stop my head from billing how many animals I might have allready killed. Hundreds? Thousands?

I walk faster and faster. The pictures just rush past me. I feel like I am actually swimming through the pictures and can feel the pain they express.

And then, suddenly, I see again the picture with the seahorse in front of me. I slow down and stop to take a closer look. I realise how beautyful this animal is. It's colorful skin and it's dark eyes. This picture could be something so beautiful but the beauty is destroyed by the simple pink plastic stick that can do so much mischief.

And suddenly I realize that the picture is not just a picture and never was one. It is a message. The picture seems to scream:

"What have you done."