Chapter 16: Mistakes Were Made... Clearly

Ernest's POV

The Bullhead landed, not far off from the sudden crater in the ground as I'd ordered, allowing Blake and I to draw our weapons and rush out into the fray. People were running, scattering, as Grimm came up from below and attacked. Luckily, there were far fewer of them than Maria warned... They must have done SOMETHING right, then.

I took notice of something odd as I and Blake wandered the field of battle... Men in white cloaks, hooded, a large crate in their arms, rushing through an alleyway... I thought nothing of it at first, but...

Cloaked figures, carrying a crate, rushing away from here... Gotta be Vampires. Crate from the train, maybe...? Trying to escape with some weapons...? Doesn't matter now, seeing as they're not the ones presently attacking people in mass numbers!

The battle was nearly over by this point, as I spotted Maria, knife in each hand, crippling a Beowolf as Drest charged it, baseball bat at the ready, raised high, and bringing it down on its head, smashing it in and instant.

Drest: "Aaha-! Um..."

Maria: "Drest! You were supposed to come up with a one-liner!"

Drest: "...I fucked up, okay?!"

Maria: "IDIOT."

Drest: "Jeez, calm down! You're starting to sound like (Y/n)!"

I spun my revolver on a single hand, turning in an instant as a King Taijitu managed to sneak up on me and the cat faunus. I shot it right through the head... And then the other head, surprising Blake when she too turned with wide eyes, staring at the disintegrating Grimm.

Blake: "What the... I didn't even hear that thing behind us!"

Ernest: "...got lucky I guess!"

I laughed nervously. Vampire hunter training at its finest, I'd have told her... If it didn't break every rule in the book. I finally spotted Gothika, and began to run over to her, as she swung her scythe around and around a few times, decapitating every Beowolf that charged or swung its claws at her. But despite glancing around, I... Couldn't see (Y/n).

Blake: "Ah, there's Weiss! I'll catch up with you guys later."

She yelled, tapping my shoulder as I gave her a nod as a response, and finally reached Gothika, taking aim and shooting a Beowolf that almost got the jump on her. She stared in surprise at the dying Grimm, bullet hole in its skull-protected head, then glancing at me with a smile.

She rushed over to me at, giving me a quick hug, which... I wasn't exactly expecting, but wasn't unwelcoming to.

Gothika: "Thanks for that! They seem to be dispersing now, Team RWBY are handling the last few over there."

I followed her gaze, and noted the team's battle with another King Taijitu... But she was right, it all looked to generally be clearing up. With a heavy sigh, I turned back to the girl, as she folded up her scythe and wiped the sweat off her forehead, going over to a rock that had come up with the crash of the train under the city, and taking a seat on it, breathing heavily and tiredly. She looked absolutely beat. Getting anxious by this point, I glanced around again before asking;

Ernest: "Where's... Where's (Y/n)...?"

With that, she went silent... Looking down at her feet and rubbing her head, before breathing a heavy groan. She was clearly tired... Hardly surprising. We'd barely gotten any rest these past few days. Hell, some of us barely got any sleep last night, camping out in the dark.

Gothika: "He's gone."

I felt myself freeze, as though under the effects of paralysis...

What...? Gone...?