Chapter 6

The feeling of Tate's soft lips brushing against mine felt perfect. The warmth of his breath filled my lungs, as if my ice-cold heart was suddenly melting inside.

His calloused, yet gentle hands move from my cheek down to my collarbones, sending shivers down my spine.

I wrap my thin arms around his neck as he caresses my skin with kisses.

We pull away, looking into each other's eyes. His plump lips form into a toothless grin.

I wanted to kiss him more, but I decided against that because it didn't want to go too far.

We stay silent for a while, taking in the view amongst ourselves.

"Did that feel good?" he asks, surprising me.

"Yeah, it did," I said.

"It felt good to me too," he said.

I smile back, and he lifts a steady hand up to my shoulder, taking a strand of my long brown hair. He fiddles with it attempting to make a "braid".

"How do girls even do this it's impossible," he says. I laugh.

"It's secret. Girls are just born with the skill of braiding hair. Boys will never understand," I joke.

"Why do you wear all that dark stuff on your eyes?" he says.

"I don't know. I like dark colors, and I feel prettier when I wear it," I say.

"Well, I think you'd be even prettier without it," he says, making me blush.

"I don't think so haha," I say.

"Yeah whatever," he replies. "We should start a fire so we can make s'mores."

"Good idea!" I say.

"Let's go find some kindling then?" he says.

We get up from the large rock we were sitting and go hunting for some twigs for our fire.

I find a few sticks that must have fallen off of a tree that we could probably use to roast the marshmallows, so I grab one of each for both of us.

I don't notice the tree root on the ground until I trip over it. I fall right onto my knees. Luckily, I didn't fall hard enough to do any harm to my body.

I hear Tate's footsteps rapidly coming towards me.

"Are you okay?" he asks

"Yeah of course, I barely even fell, I just uh tripped," I say, laughing it off.

He brings out his left hand to help me up, and I notice in his right arm, he has a large pile of kindling for the fire.

"You don't need to find any more twigs, I got tons here," he says, showing off the collection in his arm. I feel rather foolish now that he has a huge pile, and I only found two sticks in the last five minutes.

"Great, we can light a fire now."

I take the kindling Tate found and throw it into the circle of rocks.

He grabs the white lighter from his pocket and flicks the switch a few times to create a flame. He brings it down to the fire, making flames ignite.

"Perfect," he says.

We both take out marshmallows and poke them into the two sticks I found; the only thing I contributed.

I am surprised when Tate straight up puts his marshmallow right into the fire, waiting till it catches on fire, then taking it out to blow the flame out.