Chapter 4: The Maiden That Stands Amidst the Falling Flowers

"Hey, am I dressed too shabbily or something? Should I have borrowed gramps' haori hakama?"

That night, during the garden party.

Koremitsu's back was slouched as he wandered around the garden of Aoi's acquaintance, obviously looking lost.

"A haori here will look like a formal meeting; since you are a student, a uniform will do. Besides, the Heian Academy uniform is pretty too." Hikaru encouraged.

But even though he said so, Koremitsu could only see adults dressed in expensive suits or kimonos; he could not find anyone else dressed in a school uniform.

This English-styled garden was spacious, to a point one would not assume it to be part of a person's home. The lighting was as bright as noon, and there were a few round tables with pure white tablecloths on them, dishes of smoked duck and roasted beef laid out on silver platter, with professional chefs to cut them.

Aoi had said that it was a casual party where everyone stood around and ate, so Koremitsu imagined it to be like a barbeque at the seaside or the food stall, but that was not the case.

The female attendants were dressed in white shirts, black vests, and tight skirts, and they went around with silver trays in tow, serving glasses of champagne.

(I don't belong to this world. I wanna go home~)

"Koremitsu, do not panic. Just act like usual and raise your eyebrows, give that stiff expression, and that 'I'll kill you if you dare belittle me' look."

(I'm no different from a delinquent then!)

Hikaru was most probably used to being in such occasions, and thus, he was unable to comprehend why Koremitsu was being so restless.

(Of course that's to be expected of a Little Princeling with enough pocket money to buy a house for an elementary school kid!)

Speaking of which, when Koremitsu left the house, Shioriko pestered him, "Where're you going? It's not good to go out to play at such a late time. I'm coming along too!"

(Good thing she didn't come along.)

Koremitsu was so preoccupied that he could not be bothered to take care of his 'little sister'.

"Where's Aoi?"

He looked around, and subconsciously went off to a less crowded place.

"Mr. Akagi."

A person called out to him softly.

Tsuyako was standing in a dim corner, dressed in a red floral long-sleeved kimono and a crimson sash. A portion of her glossy red hair was bundled on her head, while the rest was draped naturally.

The dim moonlight was reflected upon her red hair and sleeves, the sight radiantly alluring.

"Senpai, why are you here?"

"Are you looking for Miss Aoi?"

Tsuyako revealed her face, which looked whiter than usual, and smiled silently.

"Yeah."

He never expected Tsuyako to attend the garden party, and this really was worse than meeting Asai at this place.

He recalled the scuffle that happened at the clubroom the previous day, and upon imagining what would happen if the two of them were to meet, he felt his gut wrench.

At that moment, "Koremitsu." Hikaru muttered with a stiff voice.

Koremitsu motioned his stare aside, and found the latter staring at Tsuyako's feet with a frozen, horrified look.