Chapter 2: We Have a Date After Class

"Welcome back, big brother!"

The instant Koremitsu opened the door and said 'I'm back', he heard footsteps, and was greeted by a black-haired twintail girl and a smart-looking white cat.

One of them was Shioriko, who joined the Akagis just recently, and Lapis, who joined them before the former did.

Lapis' original owner, Yū, had once said that its hearing ability was not really good, but it suddenly snuck out from somewhere whenever Koremitsu returned home; perhaps it sensed the tremors in the air. It however would merely appear, and never tried to cling itself upon others, which Shioriko would do instead.

"Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back."

"Hey, once is already enough, Shiiko."

Koremitsu was unable to move forward, and tried to pull her away, but she climbed upon him.

"I've been waiting for you for a long time~ actually, tonight's dinner is made by aunt Koharu and me, you know~ there's the super spicy chicken in spicy sauce, mapo tofu and pickles. I heard you like spicy things, so I added lots of chilli inside, big brother!"

Shioriko lifted her head at Koremitsu, speaking with a cheeky smile.

Not too long ago,

"You stupid dog"

She had been calling him this, a stark contrast at this point.

Till now, Koremitsu was still confused, but Shioriko had completely adapted herself to the Akagis and his family members.

"Well, I'm happy with that, but it's meaningless if you can't eat it, Shiiko. If you make it too spicy, you'll be sobbing and snivelling like the last time when we had curry."

A few days ago, "I want to eat the curry adults eat!" Shioriko whined about wanting to eat the same curry Koremitsu and the rest ate, creating quite the commotion in the end. Once Koremitsu pointed this out, her face reddened, and she started slamming at his chest.

"I-I wasn't snivelling. I wasn't prepared, that's all. I tried it out when I added some so I'm fine. Don't treat me as a kid, idiot!"

She turned her face away angrily.

"Anyway, it's really delicious. Hurry and take a shower! Start eating after that!"

Once she said that, she trotted back into the kitchen.

And Lapis' indigo eyes were staring at their interaction coldly.

"It looks like Shiiko is a lot livelier than before."

Hikaru too spoke in his usual calm, gentle voice.

"Yeah. Too lively, if you ask me."

"It sure is tough being the big brother."

"Stop teasing me!"

"But I suppose she is this lively because you are with her."

"Yo-You idiot! Don't make it sound so cheesy!"

"You really are not used to receiving praise, Koremitsu."

Hikaru giggled, and Koremitsu remained silent as he stormed to the bathroom with a scowl.

"So?"

He removed his shirt in the changing room, threw it into the washing machine, and asked coldly,

"Your next 'unfinished business' is regarding Tsuyako, right?"

Koremitsu's scowling face was the only thing reflected on the mirror at the basin.